Urban Avenue Grade Crossing Elimination Project
Weekend of July 20-21, 2019
No Train Service Between Hicksville & Mineola
Special Schedules in Effect for ALL Branches
The weekend of July 20-21 will mark the elimination of the Urban Avenue grade crossing in Westbury, one of eight street-level crossings along the LIRR Main Line being eliminated as part of the LIRR Expansion Project. The grade crossing will be replaced with a newly constructed bridge that will hold three tracks, and a two-lane underpass for vehicular traffic that also includes a pedestrian sidewalk.
The addition of a third track will enable increased service capacity along our busy Main Line Corridor, and the elimination of the grade crossing will bring immediate benefits in terms of improved service reliability; a safer and uninterrupted flow of traffic; and reduced noise from train horns.
Special weekend timetables will be in effect for ALL branches on Saturday and Sunday, July 20-21.
Summary of Weekend Service Changes
- Port Jefferson Branch (Port Jefferson thru Huntington): Two-hour service intervals
- Huntington/Port Jefferson Branch (Huntington thru Hicksville): Hourly service intervals
- Ronkonkoma Branch (Ronkonkoma thru Hicksville): Hourly service intervals
- Bethpage Station: All service to and from Bethpage Station will be provided by the shuttle trains between Babylon and Hicksville
- Oyster Bay Branch: Two-hour service intervals
- All Other Branches: Adjusted schedules due to changes in connecting service
- Mineola Station: Hourly service intervals
- Carle Place and Westbury Stations: No train service
Westbound: Trains will operate from Port Jefferson and Huntington to Hicksville, and from Ronkonkoma to Hicksville. At Hicksville, customers will connect to a shuttle train to Babylon, then transfer to express trains from Babylon to Penn Station. These express trains will make limited stops between Babylon and Penn Station, including Jamaica, where customers can transfer for service to Atlantic Terminal.
Eastbound: Service on the Port Jefferson and Ronkonkoma branches will operate in two distinct segments: 1) From Penn Station and other City Zone stations direct to Mineola, where trains will terminate; and 2) from Penn Station and other City Zone stations to Hicksville via the Babylon Branch. For service to Hicksville and all destinations east of Hicksville, customers must board a train to Babylon, transfer to a shuttle train from Babylon to Hicksville, then transfer again for train service to points east, including Huntington, Port Jefferson and Ronkonkoma.
Carle Place and Westbury customers:
We recommend traveling to/from Mineola, which has parking at a modest fee (no permit required) in the Mineola Intermodal Center garage. Customers planning to use public transportation to reach Mineola Station may wish to consider the N22 and N24 NICE Bus routes as options. See www.nicebus.com for bus schedules.
Special Timetables (July 20-21, 2019):
Far Rockaway Branch
Hillside (Employees Only)
Long Beach Branch
Oyster Bay Branch
Port Jefferson Branch
Port Washington Branch
West Hempstead Branch
Alternate Parking & Travel Options
To reduce additional travel time and transfers, consider traveling via the Hempstead, Babylon or Montauk branches, or directly from Mineola.
Key stations to consider for weekend parking include:
Mineola (NICE Bus service available: N22, N24)
Hempstead (NICE Bus service available: N27, N48, N49, N70, N71 and N72)
Freeport (NICE Bus service available: N40, N41and N43)
Merrick (No bus service available)
- Pick up special weekend timetables dated July 20-21, 2019, available at stations and terminals and online at mta.info/lirr.
- Some service changes will begin Friday evening and continue through early Monday morning. These changes will be included in the special timetables.
- Allow up to 60 minutes of additional travel time.
- Consider taking the Babylon, Montauk or Hempstead branches to minimize delays and transfers.
- Buy LIRR tickets in advance. Customers using MTA eTix should download the app, complete their purchase prior to their trip, and then activate their tickets just before boarding the train.
- Listen for announcements regarding track and platform assignments.
- Look for LIRR personnel at key locations.
- Sign up for E-Alerts at mymtaalerts.com.
- Monitor mta.info/lirr for real-time service status information.
- Call the LIRR’s Customer Service Center at 511 or 718-217-LIRR (718-217-5477).
- Download the MYmta and Train Time apps.
- Use the mobile-friendly Train Finder tool mylirr.org to follow the progress of your train.
- Monitor radio and TV traffic reports for updates.
Looking ahead, service changes will be required on other weekends this summer, as the LIRR replaces the South Tyson Avenue bridge in Floral Park and installs a new bridge at New Hyde Park to replace the street-level grade crossing at Covert Avenue.
For More Information
- Google Translate