South Tyson Avenue
Bridge Replacement Project
Weekend of August 17-18, 2019
Hempstead Branch Service Available at Hollis, Queens Village & Floral Park Only
The LIRR Expansion Project will perform its third bridge installation project of the summer on the weekend of August 17-18, 2019, as crews install a new bridge over South Tyson Avenue in the Village of Floral Park. The new bridge will address a bottleneck at this section of the LIRR’s Main Line – where four tracks merge into two – and accommodate a future third track to increase capacity and improve service reliability.
As a result, Hempstead Branch service will be suspended east of Floral Park (as well as at Bellerose Station) from approximately 12 AM Saturday to 12:30 AM on Monday as work is performed. During this time, Floral Park Station will be served by trains operating to/from Mineola Station.
There will be no train service to/from Bellerose, Stewart Manor, Nassau Boulevard, Garden City, Country Life Press and Hempstead.
As an alternative, customers can use nearby stations, and NICE Bus will cross-honor LIRR tickets for travel between Hempstead and Mineola (N40/N41 bus routes). Visit www.nicebus.com for bus schedules.
For project details, click here.
See below for how these changes will affect service to/from your home station.
Summary of Weekend Service Changes
- Hourly service intervals between Atlantic Terminal and Mineola Station (instead of Hempstead).
- Branch stations with regular weekend service (operating on adjusted schedules): Hollis, Queens Village, Floral Park
- Stations with no service: Bellerose, Stewart Manor, Nassau Boulevard, Garden City, Country Life Press, Hempstead. (Note: We are able to provide service from Floral Park but not Bellerose as Floral Park has a double platform and three tracks.)
Alternate Stations & Parking Options
Consider traveling from nearby stations such as
New Hyde Park, Merillon Avenue,Mineola, Floral Park
or Queens Village.
- Bellerose: Instead go to Queens Village (west) or Floral Park (east)
- Stewart Manor: Instead go to New Hyde Park
- Nassau Boulevard: Instead go to Merillon Avenue
- Garden City, Country Life Press, Hempstead: Instead go to Mineola
Weekend Parking Availability at Alternate Stations
- Floral Park: Floral Park: Approximately 116 spaces under the viaduct available on weekends/holidays (permit required on workdays); approximately 118 spaces available in the lot on the south side of station, east of Carnation Avenue (fee required on workdays); all other parking at this station requires permits and/or fees on weekends/holidays. Note: No parking between 3 AM and 5 AM, daily.
- Merillon Avenue: Approximately 80 free, unrestricted spaces available on north side of station.
- Mineola: Approximately 970 spaces available in Mineola Intermodal Center (fee required); most parking lots and on-street spaces surrounding the station require permits or fees Saturdays only.
- New Hyde Park: Approximately 385 spaces on both north and south side of right-of-way available on weekends/holidays (voucher required on workdays).
- Queens Village: Approximately 80 spaces in north and south lots (fee required on weekends/holidays).
- Pick up the Special Hempstead Branch Timetable Card dated August 16-19, 2019, which lists Friday evening and early Monday morning service changes, available at stations and terminals and online here.
- Pick up the Special Port Jefferson Branch Trackwork Timetable dated August 17-18, 2019 which incorporates Hempstead Branch weekend service changes, available at stations and terminals and online here.
- Buy LIRR tickets in advance. Customers using MTA eTix should download the app, complete their purchase prior to their trip, and then activate their tickets just before boarding the train.
- Listen for announcements regarding service changes.
- Look for LIRR personnel at key locations.
- Sign up for E-Alerts at mymtaalerts.com.
- Monitor mta.info/lirr for real-time service
- Call the LIRR’s Customer Service Center at 511
or 718-217-LIRR (718-217-5477).
- Download the MYmta and Train Time apps.
- Use the mobile-friendly Train Finder tool
mylirr.org to follow the progress of your train.
- Monitor radio and TV traffic reports for updates.
Looking ahead, similar service changes will be required on the weekend of August 24-25 when the LIRR will eliminate the street-level grade crossing at Covert Avenue in New Hyde Park. Stay tuned for details.
For More Information: Contact the LIRR’s Customer Service Center by calling 511 or 718-217-LIRR (718-217-5477). Automated schedule information is available 24/7. Agents are available to assist customers daily from 6 AM until 10 PM. To speak with an LIRR employee, say the word “Representative” when the prompts begin.
- Google Translate