January 16-17: Signal Modernization Project Alters Weekend Schedules
No Main Line train service between Hicksville and Jamaica
Special weekend timetables will be in effect for all branches on the weekend of January 16-17 as we modernize the signal system along the Main Line Corridor as part of the LIRR Expansion Project.
Please note that these special timetables will not be in effect on the weekend of January 23-24; trackwork planned for that weekend will be rescheduled for a later date.To allow this work to proceed, the LIRR will suspend Main Line train service between Hicksville and Jamaica. Key service impacts and alternatives appear below:
New Hyde Park, Merillon Avenue, Mineola, Carle Place and Westbury Stations: NO TRAIN SERVICE. As an alternative, use the Hempstead Branch, where weekend service will be increased from hourly to half-hourly, or NICE Bus service. LIRR tickets will be cross-honored on the N22/24 bus routes for service between Hicksville and Mineola, and the N40/41 bus routes for service between Mineola and Hempstead. See www.nicebus.com for schedules.
Oyster Bay Branch: Service will operate every two hours. All trains terminate/originate at East Williston Station. Take free LIRR shuttle buses between East Williston, Mineola and Hempstead, where half-hourly train service will be available, or use the Port Washington Branch.
Hempstead Branch: Service on the Hempstead Branch will be increased from hourly to half-hourly to provide alternative service for affected customers. Trains will alternate between Penn Station and Atlantic Terminal (every other train will operate directly to Penn Station).
Huntington/Port Jefferson/Ronkonkoma Branches: Revised train routes will require westbound customers from Huntington, Port Jefferson and Ronkonkoma to transfer to a shuttle train at Hicksville stopping at Bethpage and Babylon, then connect with a train from Babylon to Penn Station. Eastbound customers traveling to Huntington, Port Jefferson and Ronkonkoma will reverse the process and take a train from Penn Station to Babylon, transfer to a shuttle train stopping at Bethpage and Hicksville, then transfer again to an eastbound train from Hicksville to points east. Please allow up to 60 minutes of additional travel time. As alternatives, consider traveling via the Babylon, Montauk or Hempstead Branches.
Bethpage Station: All train service will be provided by the diesel-powered shuttle trains with bi-level cars that will operate between Hicksville and Babylon. Electric trains will not stop at Bethpage Station. In addition, platform boarding patterns will change. Westbound customers should wait on the eastbound platform (Track 2, Platform B), and board a shuttle train to Babylon. Eastbound customers should wait on the westbound platform (Track 1, Platform A), and board a shuttle train to Hicksville. Please plan ahead and allow additional time to safely cross the Stewart Avenue grade crossing when getting to/from the opposite station platform.
Looking ahead, similar service changes are planned for the weekend of February 20-21, when the signal cutover is scheduled to be performed.
Click image to enlarge
Printed timetables will not be distributed. View the links below:
Far Rockaway Branch
Long Beach Branch
Oyster Bay Branch
Port Jefferson Branch
Port Washington Branch
West Hempstead Branch
- Please be aware that weekend work may need to be rescheduled due to winter weather conditions. Please continue to check for updates as the project weekends approach.
- Masks/face coverings must be worn on LIRR property, including at stations and on trains. While onboard, masks/face coverings must remain on for the duration of your travel, including while on LIRR shuttle buses.
- Please practice social distancing by remaining six feet apart from other riders whenever possible.
- Sign up for E-Alerts at mymtaalerts.com. Download the new LIRR Train Time App (app.mylirr.org) to follow the progress of your train, check how much space is available in each train car, and much more.
- To avoid delays and transfers, use the Babylon, Hempstead, Montauk or Port Washington Branches.
- Buy LIRR tickets in advance. Customers using MTA eTix® should activate their tickets just before boarding the train.
- Look for LIRR personnel at key locations and listen for station and onboard announcements regarding track and platform changes.
- Visit mta.info/lirr for real-time service status information and to view special timetables; printed copies will not be distributed.
The LIRR Expansion Project will add a third track along nearly 10 miles of right-of-way between Floral Park and Hicksville, increasing capacity, improving reliability and creating new service opportunities. Visit amodernli.com to learn more.
For More Information: Contact the LIRR’s Customer Service Center by calling 511 or 718-217-LIRR (718-217-5477). Automated schedule information is available 24/7. Agents are available to assist customers daily from 6 AM until 10 PM. To speak with an LIRR employee, say the word “Representative” when the prompts begin.
- Google Translate