Saturday, April 10: Signal Modernization Project Alters Weekend Schedules
No Main Line train service between Hicksville and Jamaica
Special weekend timetables will be in effect for all branches on Saturday, April 10, as we continue to modernize the signal system along the Main Line Corridor as part of the LIRR Expansion Project.
To allow this work to proceed, the LIRR will suspend Main Line train service between Hicksville and Jamaica. Key service impacts and alternatives appear below:
New Hyde Park, Merillon Avenue, Mineola, Carle Place and Westbury Stations: NO TRAIN SERVICE. As an alternative, use the Hempstead Branch, where weekend service will be increased from hourly to half-hourly, or NICE Bus service. LIRR tickets will be cross-honored on the N22/24 bus routes for service between Hicksville and Mineola, and the N40/41 bus routes for service between Mineola and Hempstead. See www.nicebus.com for schedules.
Oyster Bay Branch: Service will operate every two hours. All trains terminate/originate at East Williston Station. Take free LIRR shuttle buses between East Williston, Mineola and Hempstead, where half-hourly train service will be available. Port Washington Branch service will be available as well, with trains operating on an hourly basis.
Hempstead Branch: Service on the Hempstead Branch will be increased from hourly to half-hourly to provide alternative service for affected customers. Trains will alternate between Penn Station and Atlantic Terminal (every other train will operate directly to Penn Station).
Huntington/Port Jefferson/Ronkonkoma Branches: Revised train routes will require westbound customers from Huntington, Port Jefferson and Ronkonkoma to transfer to a shuttle train at Hicksville stopping at Bethpage and Babylon, then connect with a train from Babylon to Penn Station. Eastbound customers traveling to Huntington, Port Jefferson and Ronkonkoma will reverse the process and take a train from Penn Station to Babylon, transfer to a shuttle train stopping at Bethpage and Hicksville, then transfer again to an eastbound train from Hicksville to points east. Please allow up to 60 minutes of additional travel time. As alternatives, consider traveling via the Babylon, Montauk or Hempstead Branches.
Bethpage Station: All train service will be provided by the diesel-powered shuttle trains with bi-level cars that will operate between Hicksville and Babylon. Electric trains will not stop at Bethpage Station. In addition, platform boarding patterns will change. Westbound customers should wait on the eastbound platform (Track 2, Platform B), and board a shuttle train to Babylon. Eastbound customers should wait on the westbound platform (Track 1, Platform A), and board a shuttle train to Hicksville. Please plan ahead and allow additional time to safely cross the Stewart Avenue grade crossing when getting to/from the opposite station platform.
Click image to enlarge
- If you have flexibility with respect to your day of travel, regular weekend service is scheduled to be in effect on Sunday, April 11.
- Customers are required to wear masks on LIRR trains and property, regardless of vaccination status, and regardless of social distancing. While onboard, masks must remain on for the duration of your travel, including while on LIRR shuttle buses.
- Please practice social distancing by remaining six feet apart from other riders whenever possible.
- Sign up for E-Alerts at mymtaalerts.com.
- Download the new LIRR Train Time App to plan your trip, follow the progress of your train, and track real-time customer loading information to find the least crowded cars on any train.
- To avoid delays and transfers, use the Babylon, Hempstead, Montauk or Port Washington Branches.
- Commuter parking permit restrictions and fees are waived at many stations on weekends. To see a list of stations with unrestricted weekend parking, click here.
- Buy LIRR tickets in advance. Customers using MTA eTix® should activate their tickets just before boarding the train.
- Look for LIRR personnel at key locations and listen for station and onboard announcements regarding track and platform changes.
- Visit mta.info/lirr for real-time service status information and to view special timetables; printed copies will not be distributed.
The LIRR Expansion Project will add a third track along nearly 10 miles of right-of-way between Floral Park and Hicksville, increasing capacity, improving reliability and creating new service opportunities. Visit amodernli.com to learn more.
For More Information: Customer Service Center agents are available to answer questions via live chat or phone between 6 AM and 10 PM, daily. For service related questions, chat live with customer service agents through the LIRR TrainTime app. To speak with an agent, call 511 or 718-217-LIRR (718-217-5477) and say “Representative” when the prompts begin. Automated schedule information is available via phone 24/7.
- Google Translate