Post Avenue Bridge Installation Project
Weekend of October 21-22, 2017
48-hour Train Service Suspension Between Hicksville & Mineola
Installation of a new Post Avenue Bridge in Westbury will take place on the weekend of Saturday, October 21 and Sunday, October 22. The new span will increase vehicular clearance above Post Avenue by more than two feet. This will reduce the number of train delays caused when over-sized trucks strike and damage the bridge. Demolition of the old span and installation of the new bridge will require a 48-hour suspension of train service. As a result, on the weekend of October 21-22, there will be no train service on the Main Line between Mineola and Hicksville. Buses will replace some trains, and other trains will be diverted. Special weekend timetables will be in effect for ALL branches. To avoid delays and bus transfers, consider using south shore branches this weekend. Major impacts to service include the following:
Midnight – 7 AM
From midnight to 7 AM, westbound Ronkonkoma Branch customers will board buses at Hicksville to Mineola, then transfer to a train; eastbound customers will transfer to a bus at Mineola, then board a train at Hicksville. Plan for an additional 40-60 minutes of travel time.
7 AM – Midnight
- Beginning at 7 AM, Ronkonkoma Branch trains (Ronkonkoma-Farmingdale) will use dual-mode equipment and operate via the Babylon/Central Branch for a one-seat ride to/from Ronkonkoma.
- Bethpage customers traveling westbound will board an express bus to Mineola; eastbound customers traveling to Bethpage will board an express bus at Mineola.
- Trains between Ronkonkoma and Greenport will operate on adjusted schedules.
Huntington/Port Jefferson Branch
- Buses replace trains between Hicksville and Mineola for the entire weekend.
- Customers at Carle Place and Westbury will have bus service only.
- Westbound customers will take trains to Hicksville, then transfer to buses bound for Mineola. At Mineola, transfer to a train to complete the trip.
- Eastbound customers will take trains to Mineola, then transfer to buses bound for Hicksville. At Hicksville, transfer to a train to complete the trip.
- Train service between Huntington and points west reduced to hourly instead of the usual half-hourly intervals.
- Trains between Huntington and Port Jefferson will operate every two hours instead of the usual 90-minute intervals.
See the following links to special October 21-22 weekend timetables for all branches:
City Terminal Zone
Far Rockaway Branch
Long Beach Branch
Oyster Bay Branch
Port Washington Branch
Ronkonkoma & Port Jefferson Branches
West Hempstead Branch
Attention Motorists: Post Avenue Road Closure
Post Avenue will be closed between Railroad Avenue and Union Avenue from 8 PM Friday, October 20 through 6 AM on Monday, October 23.
- Northbound traffic will be diverted to Railroad Avenue & School Street
- Southbound traffic will be diverted to Union Avenue & School Street
Barclays Center & Madison Square Garden Events
To avoid additional travel time and train-to-bus transfers, fans attending events at Barclays Center and Madison Square Garden are urged to consider using south shore branches for train service throughout the weekend.
- Pick up special weekend schedules for ALL branches dated October 21-22
- Allow up to 60 minutes of additional travel time
- Consider taking south shore branches to avoid delays
- No bicycles permitted on buses or trains on the Hempstead, Greenport/Ronkonkoma, Huntington/Port Jefferson or Oyster Bay Branches this weekend.
- Bicycles only permitted on Babylon, Far Rockaway, Long Beach, Montauk, Port Washington and West Hempstead Branch trains this weekend.
- Buy LIRR tickets in advance
- Monitor radio and TV traffic reports for updates
- Listen for announcements regarding track, platform and schedule changes
- Call the LIRR’s Customer Service Center at 511 or 718-217-LIRR (718-217-5477)
- Look for LIRR personnel at key locations
- Sign up for Customer E-Alerts at www.mymtaalerts.com
- See brochure by clicking here
Thank you for your patience and understanding as we work to complete this infrastructure improvement in the shortest timeframe possible.
- Google Translate