New Timetables In Effect Starting Tuesday, September 4
After Labor Day, completion of East Side Access work in the northeast quadrant of Harold Interlocking, and a temporary hiatus in Amtrak’s Penn Station repairs, means restoration of rush hour trains that had been canceled or diverted. In addition, progress on the Double Track Project will allow restoration of some trains on the Ronkonkoma Branch starting Tuesday, September 4. Restored service includes:
- The 6:56 AM train from Wantagh, which had been diverted to Atlantic Terminal, will operate to Penn Station.
- The 7:41 AM train from Merrick, which had been diverted to Hunterspoint Avenue, will operate to Penn Station.
- The 5:38 PM train from Penn Station to Hempstead will be restored (this train had been originating from Atlantic Terminal at 5:46 PM).
Long Beach Branch
- The 8:03 AM train from Long Beach will operate to Penn Station (this train had been diverted to Atlantic Terminal).
- The 5:39 AM train from Montauk will operate to Hunterspoint Avenue/Long Island City (this train had been terminating at Jamaica).
Port Washington Branch
- The 8:45 AM train from Port Washington to Penn Station will be restored to the schedule.
- The 4:22 PM train from Penn Station to Port Washington will be restored to the schedule.
- The 5:26 PM train from Penn Station to Port Washington will be restored to the schedule.
- The 7:01 PM train from Penn Station to Port Washington will be restored to the schedule.
- The 5:11 AM off-peak train from Penn Station will again stop at Central Islip and Ronkonkoma. This train was temporarily terminating at Brentwood.
- The 7:37 AM off-peak train from Penn Station to Ronkonkoma will add stops at Bethpage and Wyandanch.
- The 7:04 AM peak train from Ronkonkoma will be restored. This train temporarily originated in Brentwood.
- The 4:46 PM off-peak train from Ronkonkoma to Penn Station will add stops at Brentwood and Wyandanch.
Temporary Relief Trains Canceled
Three temporary trains that were added in January to offset the other cancellations and diversions will be removed from the schedule as of Tuesday, September 4. Those trains are:
- The 5:05 AM westbound train from Farmingdale to Penn Station, stopping Bethpage (5:09 AM), Hicksville (5:15 AM) and Jamaica (5:40 AM) will no longer operate
- The 5:43 AM westbound train from Freeport to Penn Station, stopping Baldwin (5:46 AM), Rockville Centre (5:49 AM) and Jamaica (6:06 AM) will no longer operate.
- The 7:02 PM eastbound train from Hunterspoint Avenue, stopping Jamaica, Rockville Centre, Baldwin and Freeport (7:42 PM) will no longer operate.
Montauk Branch – Midday Busing Program Starts September 4
The new timetable also include midday changes on the Montauk Branch associated with state-of-good-repair trackwork and grade crossing modernization. Buses will replace off-peak weekday morning and afternoon trains east of Patchogue from Tuesday, September 4 through Friday, November 9.
For More Information
For complete details, pick up a copy of the new timetable dated September 4, 2018 or contact the LIRR’s Customer Service Center by calling 511 or 718-217-LIRR (718-217-5477). Automated schedule information is available 24/7. Agents are available to assist customers daily from 6 AM until 10 PM. To speak with an LIRR employee, say the word “Representative” when the prompts begin.
- Google Translate