Starting Monday, January 6: New Timetables Reflect Changes Due to Amtrak’s Penn Station Renewal
Morning & Evening Rush Hour Trains Affected; To Offset the Changes, 3 Trains Being Added and Select Trains to be Lengthened
MTA Long Island Rail Road service will be modified starting Monday, January 6, 2020 as Amtrak, which owns and operates Penn Station, will be taking tracks out of service to perform the next phase of their critical track repairs. Work will primarily focus on Track 14, which will be out of service for construction. The resulting reduction in Penn Station capacity will impact trains starting Monday, January 6 and continuing through Sunday, March 8. Four morning rush-hour trains to Penn Station and three evening rush-hour trains from Penn Station will be diverted to/from Atlantic Terminal or Jamaica. In addition, one morning rush-hour train will be combined, two evening rush-hour trains will be combined, with subsequent trains scheduled to depart within six to 11 minutes of the canceled trains; the combined trains will make stops at all affected stations. To reduce the impact of these changes, the LIRR is adding three extra afternoon/evening trains, and is adding cars to select trains to increase seating capacity.
Highlights of the changes effective Monday, January 6 are listed below:
- The 12:50 AM overnight train from Babylon to Penn Station will depart 10 minutes later at 1:00 AM, and due to customer requests, will add stops at Lynbrook (1:39 AM) and Woodside (2:04 AM), arriving Penn Station at 2:15 AM.
- The 5:43 AM train from Freeport, stopping at Baldwin (5:46 AM), Rockville Centre (5:49 AM), Jamaica (6:06 AM), and arriving Penn Station at 6:24 AM (originally added as an extra train) will continue to operate as part of our regular weekday schedule.
- The 6:56 AM train from Wantagh, stopping at Bellmore, Merrick, then arriving at Penn Station at 7:43 AM, will be rerouted to Atlantic Terminal (arriving at 7:45 AM), with an added stop at Jamaica for connecting service.
- The 7:44 AM train from Merrick, stopping at Freeport, Baldwin and Penn Station, will depart three minutes earlier at 7:41 AM, and will terminate at Jamaica, where customers can board connecting trains to points west.
- The 8:03 AM local train from Babylon to Penn Station will add a stop at Forest Hills (8:58 AM) to accommodate customers who normally take a train that’s being diverted.
- The 8:25 AM train from Freeport, stopping at Baldwin, Rockville Centre, Jamaica and Penn Station, will be rerouted to Atlantic Terminal (arriving at 9:07 AM).
- The 5:36 PM train from Penn Station to Babylon will add stops at Forest Hills (5:51 PM), Kew Gardens (5:53 PM), and Jamaica (6:01 PM) to accommodate customers impacted by the cancellation of another train.
- The 5:45 PM train from Atlantic Terminal to Babylon will depart two minutes earlier at 5:43 PM.
- An extra PM Peak train will depart Hunterspoint Avenue at 7:02 PM, stopping at Jamaica, Rockville Centre, Baldwin and Freeport (arriving at 7:42 PM).
- The 5:35 PM westbound train from Babylon to Penn Station will make added stops at Forest Hills and Kew Gardens to accommodate customers who normally take a train that’s being diverted.
Far Rockaway Branch
- Two cars will be added to the 5:54 AM train from Far Rockaway to Penn Station.
- The 8:10 AM train from Far Rockaway to Penn Station will be canceled. Two cars will be added to the next scheduled train to Penn Station, departing Far Rockaway at 8:21 AM, or consider the 7:49 AM train from Far Rockaway.
- The 5:32 PM train from Penn Station, due at Far Rockaway at 6:24 PM, will instead originate at Jamaica at 5:52 PM. Customers at Penn Station can take the 5:24 PM train to Freeport and change at Jamaica for connecting service.
- The 5:53 PM train from Far Rockaway to Penn Station will be rerouted to Atlantic Terminal instead of Penn Station. Customers can transfer at Jamaica for connecting service to Penn.
- The 5:38 PM train from Penn Station, due at Hempstead at 6:36 PM, will instead originate from Atlantic Terminal at 5:46 PM. Customers at Penn Station can take the 5:33 PM train to Cold Spring Harbor and change at Jamaica for connecting service to Hempstead.
- The 7:05 PM train from Penn Station, due at Hempstead at 7:56 PM, will instead originate from Atlantic Terminal at 7:09 PM. Customers at Penn Station can take the 7:08 PM train to Babylon and change at Jamaica for connecting service to Hempstead.
Long Beach Branch
- The 7:56 AM train from Long Beach to Atlantic Terminal will not stop at East New York or Nostrand Avenue. Customers can transfer at Jamaica for connecting service to East New York and Nostrand Avenue.
- The 8:03 AM train from Long Beach to Penn Station will be rerouted to Atlantic Terminal (arriving at 8:54 AM), with an added stop at Jamaica for connecting service.
- The 10:57 PM train from Long Beach to Penn Station will add a Woodside stop (11:43PM) as the result of a customer request.
Port Jefferson Branch
- The 5:06 PM express from Penn Station, stopping at Syosset, Cold Spring Harbor and Huntington, will be canceled and combined with the 5:17 PM train from Penn Station, which runs express to Westbury, then stops at Hicksville, Syosset, Cold Spring Harbor and Huntington.
- The 5:33 PM train from Penn Station to Hicksville will be extended, with added stops at Syosset (6:41 PM) and Cold Spring Harbor (6:46 PM).
Port Washington Branch
- An extra train to Great Neck will depart Penn Station at 3:40 PM, stopping at Woodside, then making all local stops to Great Neck (arriving at 4:15 PM).
- The 5:50 PM train from Penn Station, due at Great Neck at 6:19 PM, will be canceled and combined with the 5:56 PM train to Great Neck (arriving at 6:32 PM). Four cars will be added to the 5:56 PM train.
- The 6:44 PM westbound train from Great Neck to Penn Station will depart 3 minutes later at 6:47 PM, and arrive in Penn Station 1 minute later than usual.
Several AM Peak trains on the Ronkonkoma Branch will be restored to their prior schedule east of Hicksville following the end of speed restrictions in areas prone to slippery rail/low-adhesion conditions. The affected trains are:
- The 5:12 AM train from Farmingdale, stopping at Bethpage (5:16 AM), Hicksville (5:22 AM), Mineola (5:30 AM), New Hyde Park (5:33 AM), Jamaica (5:46 AM), and arriving at Penn Station at 6:05 AM (originally added as an extra train) will continue to operate as part of our regular weekday schedule.
- The 5:19 AM train from Greenport to Ronkonkoma will depart 11 minutes later at 5:30 AM and will arrive in Ronkonkoma at 6:53 AM.
- The 6:48 AM train from Ronkonkoma will depart 8 minutes later at 6:56 AM, also departing later from stations through Bethpage.
- The 6:55 AM train from Ronkonkoma will depart 9 minutes later at 7:04 AM, also departing later from stations through Bethpage.
- The 7:21 AM train from Ronkonkoma will depart 2 minutes earlier at 7:19 AM, also departing earlier from stations Central Islip and Brentwood.
- The 7:29 AM train from Ronkonkoma will depart 3 minutes later at 7:32 AM, also departing later from stations through Farmingdale.
- The 7:50 AM train from Farmingdale will depart 1 minute later at 7:51 AM, also departing later from Bethpage Station.
- The 7:57 AM train from Ronkonkoma to Penn Station will add a stop at Kew Gardens (9:00 AM) to accommodate customers who normally take a train that’s being canceled.
- An extra train to Ronkonkoma will depart Penn Station at 1:30 PM, stopping at Woodside, Jamaica, Mineola, Hicksville, Bethpage, then local stops to Ronkonkoma (arriving at 2:50 PM).
West Hempstead Branch
- The 7:36 AM train from West Hempstead to Penn Station will be departing 2 minutes earlier at 7:34 AM.
Other Temporary Schedule Adjustments starting January 6:
Huntington/Port Jefferson and Ronkonkoma Branches – During midday off-peak hours, during overnights and on weekends, one of two tracks along the Main Line between New Hyde Park and Hicksville will be out of service to allow for work on the LIRR Expansion Project. Some Huntington trains will depart 11-19 minutes later. Some Ronkonkoma Branch will depart up to 18 minutes earlier or 30 minutes later than usual.
Babylon, Far Rockaway, Long Beach, Montauk and West Hempstead branches - To allow for Lynbrook Station Improvements being made in coordination with post-Superstorm Sandy Long Beach Branch infrastructure restoration and resiliency work, one of two tracks will be out of service during weekday middays between Valley Stream and Long Beach and between Valley Stream and Rockville Centre. As a result of this work, departure times for some the weekday midday trains on the Babylon, Far Rockaway, Long Beach, Montauk and West Hempstead branches will be adjusted between 1 minute and 14 minutes.
All branches will have some off-peak service adjustments related to various construction/improvement projects including the LIRR Expansion Project, Lynbrook Station Improvements, Positive Train Control (PTC) Installation, East Side Access work in Harold Interlocking, West Side Yard Overbuild, Long Beach Superstorm Sandy Restoration work, and Jamaica Capacity Improvements. New timetables dated January 6, 2020 will be in effect for all branches.
Pick up a copy of the new timetables at stations and terminals, or view pdf copies on the web below:
- Use the or subway lines for travel between Atlantic Terminal and Penn Station.
- Use the subway lines for travel between Atlantic Terminal and Manhattan.
- Use the subway line at Hunterspoint Avenue Station for service to midtown Manhattan.
- Ride during the ‘shoulder’ of Peak travel periods (i.e., the start or end of rush hour) for greater seat availability.
- Sign up for MTA eAlerts/text messages at www.mymtaalerts.com and sign up for the LIRR’s TrainTime® app.
- See where your train is at www.mylirr.org
For More Information: Contact the LIRR’s Customer Service Center by calling 511 or 718-217-LIRR (718-217-5477). Automated schedule information is available 24/7. Agents are available to assist customers daily from 6 AM until 10 PM. To speak with an LIRR employee, say the word “Representative” when the prompts begin.
- Google Translate