February 29-March 1: No Weekend Train Service Between Babylon & Rockville Centre
Buses Will Substitute for Trains; Train Service between Rockville Centre & Penn Station Reduced to Hourly; Customers Advised to Use Alternate Branches
On the weekend of February 29 - March 1, train service between Babylon and Rockville Centre will be suspended as LIRR forces perform critical work on the Meadowbrook Substation in Freeport and the new Massapequa Pocket Track. Buses will substitute for trains between Babylon and Rockville Centre, and train service between Rockville Centre and Penn Station will be reduced to hourly. Babylon Branch service will be affected as follows:
Westbound: Customers at stations Babylon through Baldwin will board buses to Rockville Centre, then transfer for hourly train service to points west. Customers at Babylon Station can board a limited number of westbound Montauk Branch trains that will operate via the Central Branch through Hicksville to points west.
Eastbound: Board hourly trains to Rockville Centre, then transfer for bus service to stations Baldwin through Babylon.
Please plan for up to 45 minutes of added travel time.
To avoid busing, transfers and delays, customers are strongly advised to use alternate branches, including the Hempstead, Huntington/Port Jefferson, Long Beach and Ronkonkoma branches. Notable service changes on other branches include:
- Trains that normally operate to/from Jamaica will continue to do so.
- Most other trains will be extended Hicksville via the LIRR’s Central Branch to connect with Ronkonkoma or Huntington Branch service.
- A few trains will require customers to board buses between Rockville Centre and Babylon, adding up to 45 minutes of additional travel time.
To lessen the impact to customers, the following extra trains will operate on Saturday and Sunday:
- 10:09 AM train from Ronkonkoma to Penn Station, arriving at 11:31 AM
- 11:09 AM train from Ronkonkoma to Penn Station, arriving at 12:31 PM
- 12:09 PM train from Ronkonkoma to Penn Station, arriving at 1:31 PM
- 4:39 PM train from Penn Station to Ronkonkoma, arriving at 6:04 PM
- 5:39 PM train from Penn Station to Ronkonkoma, arriving at 7:04 PM
- 6:39 PM train from Penn Station to Ronkonkoma, arriving at 8:04 PM
Long Beach Branch:
- Eastbound trains will depart Penn Station up to 2 minutes earlier than normal train times.
For customers planning to commute to/from alternate branches, please see below for tips on nearby stations and parking availability:
(Click to expand)
Pick up a copy of the special Branch timetable dated February 29-March 1, 2020 or view the special timetables for this weekend below:
The Meadowbrook Substation Replacement Project will provide increased third-rail power for our electric fleet and the Massapequa Pocket Track will facilitate turning trains east of Massapequa Station, increasing service flexibility and improving reliability. We appreciate your patience as we work to modernize the LIRR system.
For More Information: Contact the LIRR’s Customer Service Center by calling 511 or 718-217-LIRR (718-217-5477). Automated schedule information is available 24/7. Agents are available to assist customers daily from 6 AM until 10 PM. To speak with an LIRR employee, say the word “Representative” when the prompts begin.
- Google Translate