Weekend of August 24-25, 2019
No Train Service Between New Hyde Park & Hicksville
Over the weekend of August 24-25, the grade crossing at Covert Avenue in the Village of New Hyde Park will be eliminated and replaced with a newly constructed bridge that will hold three tracks, along with a two-lane grade-separated underpass and pedestrian sidewalk.
Please plan ahead. Special weekend timetables will be in effect for ALL branches on Saturday and Sunday, August 24-25.
Traveling on Friday Evening?
To avoid rerouting and up to 60 minutes of additional travel time due to the elimination of the Covert Avenue grade crossing in New Hyde Park, see the list below for final direct trains from Penn Station for the affected branches below. For those attending tonight’s Mets game, connecting times at Woodside Station are provided.
Final Direct Train to Huntington/Port Jefferson:
Final Direct Train to Ronkonkoma:
Final Direct Train to Oyster Bay:
For project details, click here.
Summary of Weekend Service Changes
Port Jefferson Branch:
- Port Jefferson-Huntington: Two-hour service intervals
- Huntington-Hicksville: Hourly service intervals
- New Hyde Park, Merillon Avenue, Carle Place, Westbury Stations: No train service
- Mineola Station: Train service to/from Oyster Bay only
- Ronkonkoma-Hicksville: Hourly service intervals
- Bethpage Station: Service provided by shuttle trains between Babylon and Hicksville
Oyster Bay Branch
- Two-hour service intervals between Oyster Bay and Mineola only; transfer to/from buses for Hempstead
- Service increased from hourly to half-hourly intervals, alternating between Penn Station and Atlantic Terminal
All Other Branches
- Adjusted schedules due to changes in connecting service
Oyster Bay Branch:
Trains will operate between Oyster Bay and Mineola only.
- Eastbound: Transfer to a free shuttle bus at Hempstead for service to Mineola, where connecting Oyster Bay trains will run every two hours.
- Westbound: Transfer to NICE buses (N40/N41) at Mineola (LIRR tickets will be cross-honored) for service to Hempstead, and resume train service at Hempstead for points west. Hempstead Branch service will be increased from hourly to half-hourly. Visit nicebus.com for schedules.
Sunday morning only, 7:00 AM -11:00 AM: Buses replace trains between Locust Valley and Oyster Bay for the Runner’s Edge TOBAY Triathlon.
Port Jefferson/Ronkonkoma Branches:
- Westbound: Trains will operate from Port Jefferson and Huntington to Hicksville, and from Ronkonkoma to Hicksville. Connect to a shuttle train to Babylon, then transfer to an express train to Penn Station. Express trains will stop at Jamaica for connections to Brooklyn and points west.
- Eastbound: Board a train to Babylon, transfer to a shuttle train to Hicksville, and transfer again for train service to points east, including Huntington, Port Jefferson and Ronkonkoma.
- Bethpage Station: All service to and from Bethpage Station will be provided by the shuttle trains between Babylon and Hicksville. The shuttle will be a diesel train with bi-level cars. Electric trains will not stop at Bethpage Station.
Alternate Stations & Weekend
Oyster Bay Branch
To reduce additional travel time and transfers, consider traveling via nearby stations on the Port Washington Branch:
- Port Washington: Approximately 1,000 spaces (no restrictions on weekends/holidays)
- Manhasset: Approximately 650 spaces ($10 daily fee without Manhasset Park District (MPD) permit)
- Douglaston: Approximately 120 spaces ($7.50 daily fee)
- Little Neck: Approximately 110 spaces ($7.50 daily fee)
Port Jefferson/Ronkonkoma Branches
To reduce additional travel time and transfers, consider traveling via the Hempstead, Babylon or Montauk branches. Key stations to consider for weekend parking include:
- Floral Park: No restrictions on weekends/holidays for the approximately 110 spaces under the viaduct, and the approximately 120 spaces available in the lot on the south side of station, east of Carnation Avenue. All other parking at this station requires permits and/or fees on weekends/holidays. Note: No parking between 3 AM and 5 AM, daily.
- Stewart Manor: Approximately 150 spaces (Village of Garden City permit required)
- Nassau Boulevard: Approximately 200 spaces (Village of Garden City permit required)
- Hempstead: Approximately 700 spaces (Village of Hempstead Resident or Non-Resident permit or fee required) (Parking rate: 50 cents/hour)
- Hicksville: Approximately 2,500 spaces (no restrictions on weekends/holidays)
- Freeport: Approximately 1,600 spaces (no restrictions on weekends/holidays)
- Merrick: Approximately 1,600 spaces (no restrictions on weekends/holidays)
Pick up a special weekend timetable for your branch or click here:
- Pick up special weekend timetables dated
August 24-25, 2019, available at stations and terminals and online at mta.info/lirr.
- Some service changes will begin Friday evening and continue through early Monday morning. These changes will be included in the special timetables.
- Allow up to 60 minutes of additional travel time.
- Consider taking the Babylon, Montauk or Hempstead branches to minimize delays and transfers.
- Buy LIRR tickets in advance. Customers using MTA eTix should download the app, complete their purchase prior to their trip, and then activate their tickets just before boarding the train.
- Listen for announcements regarding track and platform assignments.
- Look for LIRR personnel at key locations.
- Sign up for E-Alerts at mymtaalerts.com.
- Monitor mta.info/lirr for real-time service status information.
- Call the LIRR’s Customer Service Center at 511 or 718-217-LIRR (718-217-5477).
- Download the MYmta and Train Time apps.
- Use the mobile-friendly Train Finder tool
mylirr.org to follow the progress of your train.
- Monitor radio and TV traffic reports for updates.
Covert Avenue is one of eight grade crossings that will be eliminated as part of the LIRR Expansion Project, which is adding a third track between Floral Park and Hicksville to increase service and improve reliability. Additional benefits include a safer and uninterrupted flow of traffic and reduced horn noise.
For More Information: Contact the LIRR’s Customer Service Center by calling 511 or 718-217-LIRR (718-217-5477). Automated schedule information is available 24/7. Agents are available to assist customers daily from 6 AM until 10 PM. To speak with an LIRR employee, say the word “Representative” when the prompts begin.
- Google Translate