August 11 & 12: Buses Replace Weekend Trains between Ronkonkoma & Hicksville
Buses will replace weekend trains between Ronkonkoma and Hicksville on Saturday, August 11 and Sunday, August 12, due to construction related to the Double Track project. In addition, four early-morning trains on Monday, two eastbound and two westbound, will be replaced by buses. To avoid busing & delays, customers are advised to consider using the Babylon, Montauk or Pt. Jefferson Branches this weekend. Ronkonkoma Branch service will be affected as follows:
- Customers at stations Ronkonkoma through Bethpage will board buses up to 45 minutes earlier than normal train times. At Hicksville, customers willtransfer to westbound trains.
- Customers at stations Greenport through Medford will board buses at Ronkonkoma and ride to Hicksville, where train service will resume. Customers will arrive at western terminals approximately 1 hour later than normal.
- Customers traveling to stations Bethpage through Ronkonkoma will transfer to buses at Hicksville. Plan for up to 46 minutes of added travel time.
Departure times for trains that provide connecting service to Greenport have been adjusted:
- o Connecting trains that normally depart Penn Station at 8:12 AM and 1:12 PM will instead depart at 7:12 AM and 12:12 PM, 1 hour earlier than usual. Customers will take these earlier trains to Hicksville, then transfer to buses that will make all local stops to Ronkonkoma, where train service will resume.
- o Customers who take the 6:50 PM connecting train from Ronkonkoma to Greenport will board the 5:12 PM train from Penn Station to Hicksville, then transfer to buses that will make all local stops to Ronkonkoma, where train service will resume.
- o Customers who take the 4:19 AM connecting train from Ronkonkoma to Greenport will board the 2:53 AM train from Penn Station to Hicksville, then transfer to a bus that will make all local stops to Greenport. Passengers should expect up to 1 hour and 40 minutes additional travel time
- Customers who normally take the 12:44 AM and 1:45 AM trains from Ronkonkoma to Penn Station will board buses departing up to 45 minutes earlier than normal train times, then connect with westbound trains at Hicksville.
- Customers who take the 12:14 AM and 1:11 AM trains from Penn to Ronkonkoma will transfer to buses at Hicksville. Plan for 46 minutes of added travel time.
For specific bus and train departure times, pick up a copy of the special Ronkonkoma Branch Trackwork Timetable, dated August 11 - 12, 2018 or click here.
Please plan ahead: Similar schedule changes will be in effect on the next two consecutive weekends, August 18-19 & August 25-26.
About the Double Track Project
The Double Track Project will improve service and reliability on the LIRR’s Ronkonkoma Branch, and reduce delays in the event of a service disruption. With only a single track for trains running in both directions along the 18-mile stretch between Ronkonkoma and Farmingdale, service halts when any issue arises, as all east and westbound trains have no way to operate around a disabled train. Over the past 25 years, ridership on the Ronkonkoma Branch has doubled -- growing in popularity since the line was electrified in 1988 – indicating the need for expansion. This initiative will also spur economic activity, and improve LIRR service to LI MacArthur Airport.
For more information, contact the LIRR’s Customer Service Center by calling 511 or 718-217-LIRR (718-217-5477). Automated schedule information is available 24/7. Agents are available to assist customers daily from 6 AM until 10 PM. To speak with an LIRR employee, say the word “Representative” when the prompts begin.
- Google Translate