The MTA's Small Business Mentoring Program — Tier 2 (SBMP-Tier 2)
Upon successful completion of a four-year mentoring relationship, a company is eligible to complete a four-year advanced program that provides eligibility to bid on projects valued up to $3 million. The contracts will be awarded directly without a construction manager's participation in order to prepare the firm to transition to active and independent contract work with the MTA. Firms must obtain a surety bond to participate.
For state and locally funded projects, the four-year Small Business Mentoring Program-Tier 2 (SBMP-Tier 2) includes:
- Business Plan Development
- Access to working Capital and Insurance
- Bond Assistance Program
- Experience working on MTA contracts up to $3 million
- Fast-Track Payments
Small Business Mentoring Program-Tier 2 – Qualification Requirements
In order to participate in MTA's SBMP-Tier 2, a firm must meet all of the following criteria:
- Must have successfully participated in the MTA’s Small Business Mentoring Program-Tier 1.
- Be pre-qualified to do business with the MTA.
- Provide at least two references for commercial work – valued at no less than $500,000 in every trade for which the firm wishes to be prequalified.
- Have been in business for at least two years.
- Owner must not have a net worth (excluding primary residence) exceeding $3.5 million.
- Have annual revenue not greater than $5 million/year averaged over the last 3 years.
- Capable of being bonded.
How Do Firms Get Work?
Once you have received your pre-qualification approval letter, you are eligible for participation in the Program. Opportunities for bidding on MTA work will be dependent upon the contractor’s available bonding capacity at the time of bidding and the availability of work in the trades for which you qualify.
Information and contact persons
For SBMP-Tier 2 criteria or information on how to apply:
- Please call SBMP Prequalification Unit at 212-878-4757 or 212-878-7027; or email MTA SBMP: SBDP@mtahq.org
For SBDP training or information on how to apply:
- Please call Zenaida Chape at 646-252-1391; or email: firstname.lastname@example.org
To contact MTA's SBMP Manager:
- Please call Jigish Patel at 212-878-4683, or email: Jigpatel@mtahq.org
- Google Translate