FASTRACK is a subway maintenance, cleaning, and repair program that shuts down segments of a subway line for several hours over consecutive weeknights or weekend days, allowing our employees to perform a number of critical maintenance jobs. The line shutdown approach has proven successful in that, under normal conditions in our 24/7 system, the scope and breadth of this important work would be impossible to accomplish with customers and trains moving through work areas. Thus far, since FASTRACK began in 2012, the results have had a positive impact on service with a reduction in train delays and a decrease in the number of track fires, while realizing cost efficiencies and a lower accident rate for employees.
FASTRACK tasks typically include:
- Track – remove debris and repair or replace tie blocks and running rails.
- Third Rail Operations – clean and remove debris from under and around the third rail.
- Signals – perform general maintenance on signals and switches and replace dispatcher holding lights.
- Infrastructure – repair or replace handrails, signs, and tunnel lighting. Clean track drains and repair water damage/leaks.
- Electronic Maintenance – optimize performance of closed-circuit television monitors and cameras. Inspect and test public address system equipment.
- Station Environment – perform high-intensity station cleaning and painting as well as perform elevator and escalator repair work. Clean vents and drains.
back to top
No trains between Roosevelt Av and World Trade Center
No trains between Roosevelt Av and 21 St-Queensbridge
service ends early between 71 Av and Essex St each night
service ends early between 71 Av and Whitehall St each night
FASTRACK begins weeknights at 10 PM and ends 5 AM the next morning. This service change will run from Jul 21 to Jul 25 nightly, ending Friday morning. Read on for more information.
What are the travel alternatives?
Take the between Manhattan and 74 St/Roosevelt Av or Queensboro Plaza.
- Take the between Manhattan and Queensboro Plaza.
- In Manhattan along 8 Avenue, take the Local or instead of the . Along 53 St, use the or nearby and service instead.
- In Manhattan, transfer at 5 Av/42 St-Bryant Pk , Times Sq-42 St/Port Authority , and
34 St-Herald Sq .
- Take the between Queens Plaza and 71 Av. When service ends, trains run local between Queens Plaza and 71 Av until 10 PM. After 10 PM, take the Local between Roosevelt Av and 71 Av.
Free shuttle buses run LOCAL between Queensboro Plaza
and 74 St/Roosevelt Av, making station stops at Queens Plaza, 36 St, Steinway St, 46 St, Northern Blvd, and 65 St.
- In Queens, transfer between shuttle buses and trains at 74 St/Roosevelt Av
or Queensboro Plaza .
How will trains operate?
In Queens only between Jamaica Center and 74 St/Roosevelt Av.
Service operates in two sections as follows:
1. Between 179 St and 74 St/Roosevelt Av.
2. Between Stillwell Av and 21 St-Queensbridge.
Service ends early between 71 Av and Essex St each night:
• shuttle service between Metropolitan Av and Myrtle Av runs all night.
Service ends early between 71 Av and Whitehall St each night:
• shuttle service in Brooklyn between 95 St and 36 St runs all night.
back to top
|74 St/Roosevelt Av
|| ||Alternative Services:
• Jamaica Center-bound
• 179 St-bound
• Free shuttle buses to 36 St
|| || Free shuttle buses provide LOCAL service between
Queensboro Plaza and 74 St/Roosevelt Av
||Coney Island-bound service available
||• Queensboro Plaza
• Free shuttle buses to 74 St/Roosevelt Av
|Court Sq-23 St
||• 51 St ( Local) or to/from the at
Grand Central-42 St
• 47-50 Sts for downtown service to W 4 St, where
service is available
|5 Av/53 St
at 5 Av/42 St-Bryant Pk or
• at W 4 St or 59 St-Columbus Circle
at nearby 57 St-7 Av or 49 St
| stations between 50 St and the
World Trade Center
||Take Local or to/from the at Times Sq-42 St/Port Authority
back to top
back to top