FASTRACK is a subway maintenance, cleaning, and repair program that shuts down segments of a subway line for several hours over consecutive weeknights, allowing our employees to perform a number of critical maintenance jobs. The line shutdown approach has proven successful in that, under normal conditions in our 24/7 system, the scope and breadth of this important work would be impossible to accomplish with customers and trains moving through work areas. Thus far, since FASTRACK began in 2012, the results have had a positive impact on service with a reduction in train delays and a decrease in the number of track fires, while realizing cost efficiencies and a lower accident rate for employees.
FASTRACK tasks typically include:
• Track – remove debris and repair or replace tie blocks and running rails.
• Third Rail Operations – clean and remove debris from under and around the third rail.
• Signals – perform general maintenance on signals and switches and replace dispatcher holding lights.
• Infrastructure – repair or replace handrails, signs, and tunnel lighting. Clean track drains and repair water damage/leaks.
• Electronic Maintenance – optimize performance of closed-circuit television monitors and cameras. Inspect and test public address system equipment.
• Station Environment – perform high-intensity station cleaning and painting as well as perform elevator and escalator repair work. Clean vents and drains.
back to top
Service on 6 Av is suspended
FASTRACK begins weeknights at 10 PM and ends 5 AM the next morning. This service change will run nightly from Feb 6 - 10 and Feb 13 - 17. Read on for more information.
and trains are rerouted via the 8 Av line
and service ends early
How will trains operate?
Trains operate in two sections as follows:
- Between 205 St and the 2 Av station, the last stop.
Rerouted via the local between 59 St and W 4 St.
- Between Coney Island and Atlantic Av-Barclays Ctr.
Rerouted via between W 4 St and Roosevelt Av, in both directions.
Special shuttle trains run between Lexington Av/63 St and 21 St-Queensbridge, stopping at Roosevelt Island, every 20 minutes.
and service ends early each night (times are approximate):
• Manhattan-bound service in Brooklyn and Queens ends at 9:30 PM.
• Service in Manhattan is available until 10 PM.
What are the travel alternatives?
back to top
back to top