FASTRACK is a subway maintenance, cleaning, and repair program that shuts down segments of a subway line for several hours over consecutive weeknights, allowing our employees to perform a number of critical maintenance jobs. The line shutdown approach has proven successful in that, under normal conditions in our 24/7 system, the scope and breadth of this important work would be impossible to accomplish with customers and trains moving through work areas. Thus far, since FASTRACK began in 2012, the results have had a positive impact on service with a reduction in train delays and a decrease in the number of track fires, while realizing cost efficiencies and a lower accident rate for employees.
FASTRACK tasks typically include:
• Track – remove debris and repair or replace tie blocks and running rails.
• Third Rail Operations – clean and remove debris from under and around the third rail.
• Signals – perform general maintenance on signals and switches and replace dispatcher holding lights.
• Infrastructure – repair or replace handrails, signs, and tunnel lighting. Clean track drains and repair water damage/leaks.
• Electronic Maintenance – optimize performance of closed-circuit television monitors and cameras. Inspect and test public address system equipment.
• Station Environment – perform high-intensity station cleaning and painting as well as perform elevator and escalator repair work. Clean vents and drains.
back to top
No trains between 3 Av-149 St and 96 St
service is suspended
FASTRACK begins weeknights at 10 PM and ends 5 AM the next morning. This service change will run nightly, Monday to Friday, from April 11 – 15 and April 25 – 29. Read on for more information.
Take free shuttle buses instead
How will trains operate?
service operates in two sections:
- Between 241 St and 3 Av-149 St.
Trains from 241 St skip Jackson Av.
- Between 96 St and Flatbush Av.
service is suspended
What are the travel alternatives?
- Free shuttle buses operate between 3 Av-149 St and 96 St, stopping at 149 St-Grand Concourse, 145 St, 135 St, 125 St, 116 St, and Central Park North.
- Transfer between trains and free shuttle buses at 3 Av-149 St and/or at 96 St., or the at 149 St-Grand Concourse.
- Free local shuttle buses operate between 96 St and Harlem-148 St, making station stops.
- Transfer between trains and free shuttle buses at 96 St.
- Take the for service between Franklin Av and 96 St.
- trains make all station stops between Nevins St and New Lots Av.
- Transfer between and trains at Franklin Av.