My MTA Alerts®
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
- What is My MTA Alerts®?
- What kind of alerts can I receive?
- How do I get alerts?
- What are pre-defined time periods?
- What does it mean to create a time period? What are customized times?
- What is a confirmation code?
- What to do if you do not receive a confirmation code?
- Can I receive alerts for more than one MTA Agency?
- What should I do if I encounter problems logging into my account?
- What should I do if I am not receiving alerts?
- How do I change/modify an email address, phone number/carrier associated with My MTA Alerts®?
- How do I change my password or User ID?
- I forgot my password for My MTA Alerts® account. How can I retrieve it?
- How can I modify my route subscription and timeframes?
- My service alerts have been going into my Spam folder over the past few months. How do I get the alerts to go back to my inbox?
- What is that number that comes above my SMS alerts?
- How can I temporarily suspend my account?
- How can I unsubscribe from My MTA Alerts®?
- Does the MTA charge for customers to receive My MTA Alerts®?
- Does the MTA have a My MTA Alerts ® app?
1. What is My MTA Alerts®?
My MTA Alerts® is a subscription service that automatically sends emails and text alerts about delays or service changes. You can choose to get alerts about any MTA subway, bus, commuter train, toll crossing; or a combination of any agency. You can manage your account from your desktop or mobile device, including when you want to receive alerts. You can suspend/reactivate your account at any time.
2. What kind of alerts can I receive?
You can sign up to receive real-time alerts related to service incidents and upcoming planned work that impact the following MTA services: NYC Transit subways and buses, Long Island Rail Road and Metro-North Railroad commuter rail services and Bridges & Tunnels. In addition, reminders about purchasing monthly tickets and new schedules are also available for Long Island Rail Road and Metro-North Railroad customers. Long Island Rail Road customers can also receive alerts when escalators are not working.
3. How do I get alerts?
It is easy to sign up for alerts. Visit www.mymtaalerts.com and select 'Create an Account'. Create a User ID and Password with a minimum of six characters and link your account to the email address and/or mobile phone number of choice.
Step 1: Choose any MTA agency and select any line(s).
Choose the routes for which you want alerts. You must select at least one, but you can receive alerts about as many lines or routes as you want.
Step 2: Tell us what types of MTA service alerts you wish to receive.
Real time service changes, planned changes to service/stations, toll crossings and/or elevator information for LIRR customers only.
Step 3: Tell us when you want to get alerts.
Select when you want to receive alerts. You can choose your own time intervals or use the pre-defined time intervals. You must select one andcannot select both. Select the days you want alerts. You must select at least one day. Click 'Add' and then click 'Save'.
Step 4 Choose any other information you would like to receive.
Please make sure to click 'Save' once you have made all your selections.
These time periods consist of a range of times to help ease signing up for multiple time periods. The available time periods consist of: 12:01AM to 4:30AM, 4:31AM to 10:00AM, 10:01AM to 3:30PM, 3:31PM to 8:00PM, 8:01PM to 12:00AM.
5. What does it mean to create a time period? What are customized times?
Creating a time period involves using your own customized time intervals. This requires you to enter a start time and an end time. Intervals are in 30-minute increments. You must select at least one interval time and day you would like to receive alerts. You can add any number of variations by choosing times and clicking the 'Add Time Period and Days' button after each one. (Example: Add 6:00AM-8:00AM Monday-Friday, and 4:00PM-6:30PM Monday, Wednesday, Thursday). We recommend that you extend your alerts timeframe to 30 minutes before and 30 minutes after your normal travel time to ensure you receive all necessary notifications. Please make sure to click 'Save' once you have made all your selections.
6. What is a confirmation code?
For your security, My MTA Alerts® uses a two-step verification process. After you create your account, you will be taken to the 'My MTA Alerts® Subscription Activating Pending' page. You will then receive a message containing a Confirmation Number. Enter the confirmation number you receive from your email or text and then click 'Submit'. You can then begin to set up your account preferences.
7. What if you do not receive a confirmation code?
If you do not receive your confirmation code, click 'Resend Confirmation Code.' In addition, check your spam or junk email folder for confirmation code. If you still do not receive a confirmation code, contact us by clicking on the 'Need Help? Email Us' link on top of the screen.
9. What should I do if I encounter problems logging into my account?
Check your user name and also make sure you are using the same email or mobile device number initially registered for notifications. If you still cannot log on, click on the 'Need Help? E-mail Us' link or go to http://mta-nyc.custhelp.com/app/ask.
10. What if I am not receiving alerts?
Check your account settings to be sure you selected at least one MTA service, type of alert (real-time, planned, etc.), and a timeframe. You can then edit your account if needed with route selections and/or timeframes. In addition, check your spam or junk email folder. If you have followed these steps and you are still not receiving alerts, contact us via email and describe the details of your problem. Our customer support team is here to help and will get back to you within two business days, go to http://mta-nyc.custhelp.com/app/ask.
11. How do I change/modify an email address, phone number/carrier associated with My MTA Alerts®?
It is easy to modify your My MTA Alert® account if you want to keep receiving alerts, but want them sent to a different email address or mobile number. You can edit your settings in your 'My MTA Alerts Account Management' page, delete the old number or email and add the new number or email.
12. How do I change my password or User ID?
To change your My MTA Alert® password or User ID, log on to www.mymtaalerts.com, once you view your profile, click on 'Change your User ID or Password' (both User ID and Password must be a minimum of 6 characters.) You can then choose a new User ID or Password, and you must then re-type your new password and then click 'Save'.
13. I forgot my password for My MTA Alerts® account, how can I retrieve it?
If you forgot your password for your My MTA Alerts® account go to www.mymtaalerts.com, then click on 'Forgot Your Password or Problems Logging In' and then enter the 'Email address or Cell number or Service Code' that is associated with your account. Please do not use spaces or dashes when entering your mobile number. Once you select 'Find my Info' you will have an option to send a password reset link to any email or phone number in your account.
14. How can I modify my route subscription and timeframes?
You can edit your settings under the account management page. Click 'Edit' next to your email or mobile number. You can now choose your new route selections or new time periods. Please make sure to click 'Save' once you have made all your selections.
15. My service alerts have been going into my Spam folder over the past few months. How do I get the alerts to go back to my inbox?
Email messages from our My MTA Alert® system are sent out from firstname.lastname@example.org, you may also see MTA New York City Transit. We recommend you add this email address/name to your email contact list or manually move a related email from spam to your Inbox. If these recommendations do not work you can contact your email service provider for further review and troubleshooting.
16. What is the number that appears above my SMS alerts?
This number allows us to quickly troubleshoot if you have a problem receiving or unsubscribing alerts. Our support team may ask you for this number to better assist you. Note: While the MTA provides this alert service free of charge, you may be responsible for the cost of received text messages from your cell phone carrier depending on your calling plan. See Sign-Up page for details.
17. How can I temporarily suspend my account?
When you're logged into mymtaalerts.com, click on 'Vacation Settings' underneath your MY MTA Alerts® Profile to suspend your account. Just select 'Suspend'. This will temporarily deactivate your account. Using the calendar provided, select the date that you wish to begin receiving alerts again. You will not receive alerts from the date you suspend alerts until your reactivation date. If you do not pre-select a date to reactivate, just return to this page and enter the current date to start receiving alerts again.
19. Does the MTA charge customers to receive My MTA Alerts®?
The MTA does not charge a fee for customers to receive My MTA Alerts®. The MTA is not affiliated with any companies or apps that do. However, some mobile service providers do charge fees for text messages and data use. Please check with your service provider for any fees that may apply.
- Google Translate