Skip to main content
To homepage
Coronavirus updates: MTA Service During the Coronavirus Pandemic, Read more

Frequently Asked Employment Questions

Q. Where can I get a job application?

While New York City Transit/Manhattan and Bronx Surface Transit Operating Authority (MaBSTOA) does not have a general "job application", approximately 85% of staff is selected through the examination process. Applicants must apply, take, and pass an examination.

Applications for Transit positions which require an examination are available during the filing period by going to the NYC Department of Citywide Administrative Services (DCAS), 2 Lafayette Street, Applications Center, in downtown Manhattan. The Notice of Examination and filing package are also available during the filing period by going to the DCAS website at or the MTA website at

For MaBSTOA positions, applications are available during a designated application filing period by writing to MTA NYC Transit, MABTOA EXAMINATIONS, (indicate name of examination), Cadman Plaza Station, P.O. Box 24463, Brooklyn, New York 11202-4463. The MaBSTOA Notice of Examination and MaBSTOA filing package are also available during the filing period by going to

The NYC Transit Exam hotline listing the exams open for filing is (718) 566-JOBS (5627)

Can I have the filing fee waived?

The NYC Department of Citywide Administrative Services allows fee waivers for the following conditions:

Carefully follow the instructions in the application in order to request the fee waiver. 

For MaBSTOA examinations only individuals who are New York City residents and are receiving full benefits (Cash, Medicaid, and Food Stamps) and not partial benefits for Public/Cash Assistance from the New York City Department of Social Services can request a fee waiver.

Q. When do I find out the results of the exam?

    After an examination has been rated, DCAS informs each person in writing his/her score for Transit examinations (this usually occurs several months after the test administration. Human Resources' Employment Services' Examination Unit informs MaBSTOA applicants of their results. All candidates (Transit/MaBSTOA) who pass an examination are also informed of their list number.

Q. Where can I find out the status of a list once I pass the examination?

The NYC Department of Citywide Administrative Services (DCAS) information/exam results hotline is 212-669-1357. For MaBSTOA or NYC Transit results, call the NYC Transit Employment Center at 347-643-8237. For the fastest service, have the name of the exam, exam #, your social security #, and your list # available when you call.

Q. What kind of employment opportunities are available at Transit while I go to college?

There are several programs that are geared for college students. These include:

  1. College Aides - Students work part-time (20 hours per week) during the school year and can work full-time (35 hours per week) during semester breaks and the summer in various areas throughout New York City Transit. To learn more about College Aide opportunities, please contact your school's career center. College Aide positions are open to juniors, seniors and graduate students who meet the eligibility requirements. Children, spouses and parents of Transit employees are not eligible for College Aide positions.
  2. College Interns - Unpaid internship placements for credit or experience. Students work 14 hours per week in areas related to their field of study. Students must be enrolled in a degree program at the associate, bachelor or graduate level. Students should register with the career coordinator in their school to participate in the program.
  3. Co-op Program - Students who are obtaining a degree in either Engineering (Civil, Mechanical, Electrical, Structural, Environmental), Computer Science, Computer Technology, Computer Engineering or Business Administration (Finance/Accounting) majors and participating in their schools cooperative education program, are eligible for this program. Students must work full-time (35 hours) for three to six months. To learn more about the program and qualifications, please view the Co-op web page on this site.
  4. The Corps of Transit Engineers - Students who are obtaining a degree in either Civil/Structural, Mechanical, or Electrical engineering, can work part-time in their chosen field. Upon graduation and full-time employment, Transit will reimburse up to $9,000 a year for college tuition expenses for every year of employment up to four years or $36,000. To learn more about the program and qualifications, please view the Corps of Transit Engineers web page on this site.

Q. Can someone with a conviction record work at New York City Transit?

NYC Transit follows the guidelines set forth in the New York State Correction law with respect to hiring individuals with criminal records.  The overriding consideration in hiring persons with criminal records is whether there is a nexus between the crime and the position that is sought at NYC Transit.  This evaluation is done on a case-by-case basis.

Q. If someone is hired provisionally and is later appointed from an examination list can his/her probationary period be waived?

The probationary period can’t be waived for employees serving in a title on a provisional basis who are later appointed to that title from an open competitive list. The probation period may be waived or reduced, with approval from DCAS, for permanent employees holding a higher title on a provisional basis in the same occupational group who are later promoted to the higher title off of a promotional list.



Back to Top

  • Google Translate