ELEVATOR/ESCALATOR SAFETY TIPS
For your safety's sake, we ask that you follow these basic rules when using escalators or elevators.
- Do not get on with strollers, wheelchairs, walkers, luggage, or hand carts-use an elevator instead.
- Be careful when carrying hanging clothes.
- Don't get on if you are barefoot or if your shoelaces are untied.
- Parents--supervise the conduct and activity of your children as they prepare to step on.
Stepping On And Off The Escalator
- Check the direction of the moving steps.
- Grasp the handrail and step promptly onto the moving step.
- Take extra care if you are wearing bifocals.
- Hold children firmly by their hands. (Lift small children on and off the escalator.)
- Don't crowd the escalator. Leave enough room in case of an emergency situation.
When Riding Escalators
- Stand toward the middle of the step - away from the sides and face forward.
- Don't lean against the sides.
- Don't run or walk on the moving escalator-stand still!
- Don't allow children to sit on the steps.
- Do not place items on the steps or handrails.
- Always keep a firm grip on the handrail.
When You Enter And Leave An Elevator
- Enter and exit carefully. Watch your step.
- Hold children firmly by their hands.
- Stand clear of the doors - keep clothes and carry-ons away from the door opening.
- Push and hold the Door Open button if the doors need to be held open, or ask someone to push the Door Open button for you.
When Riding On An Elevator
- Stand back from the doors.
- Hold the handrail, if available.
- Pay attention to the floor indications.
- If the doors do not open when the elevator stops, push the Door Open button.
- Be considerate. Keep the elevator clean for passenger comfort.
Mobility impaired customers who have difficulty using the escalator should use the elevator, where available.
If you see an escalator or elevator that is in need of repair, call our Customer Service Center at 212-532-4900.
To report an escalator or elevator accident or emergency, call MTA Police at 212-878-1001 or call 888-MTA-911-PD.
- Google Translate