LIRR Group Travel - Info
We strive to make group travel easy, affordable and fun! Let us whisk you to your destination - no traffic, no hassles, just great service.
Our rates will make you skip the bus! Save up to 60% off regular rail fares for groups of 30 or more. Groups of 15 or less may still save money (compare group rate x 30 people vs Off-peak rates for your group size, or call our office). Also see smaller group fare options.
When you call our Group Sales office in advance, our team helps you plan you trip and adds your train choices in our reservation system so we can let our train staff know to expect you. We recommend reservations be made at least two weeks in advance, as reservations are subject to available space on trains.
Return Any Time
With LIRR "Individual Return Tickets", you can return at any time, including rush hour. Individual Return Tickets give your group members the option of returning together or separately (on the same day of your trip). For this option, all group members must pay the LIRR Adult group rate.
If you are new to travel on the LIRR, our staff can help. Besides providing excellent pre-planning assistance, on business days our staff may be available to meet you at your station, or on your train, and get you into Penn and direct you towards your final destination. Priority is given to large school groups, starting with the youngest children first, those in need of special assistance, and those moving on to the subway.
School Field Trips are Our Specialty
Our mission is to help our children become comfortable with using mass transit. We offer schools priority with escorts and more:
- FREE New York City Subway Transportation
NYC Department of Youth & Community Development, in partnership with MTA New York City Transit, provides Free New York City Subway Certificates to non-profit youth-serving organizations. For more information please visit:
- Subway Escorts
For school groups of 60 or more, we can also arrange for a New York City Transit Conductor or subway escort to accompany you through the subway system, free of charge. Hours and days are limited for subway escorts. Reservations should be made at least two weeks prior to the trip.
- At Open Ticket Windows: cash, credit/debit cards, checks, and money orders are accepted. Reservations must first be made through the Group Travel office, when possible at least two weeks in advance.
LIRR Rules of Conduct
Your safety is our #1 priority. Making a group reservation will help us to make your trip more enjoyable and safe. Please review the following tips to insure a safe and pleasant trip for all.
- Step Over the Gap between the train and the platform when boarding or getting off trains.
- On station platforms, please stand behind the yellow safety lines.
- Talk low to each other, and while using cell phones.
- Do not disturb our engineers - your safety is in their hands. In the head car, please make every effort to leave the seats closest to the engineer vacant, or sit chaperones or quieter group members there. The conductor is the "captain of our ship" and may at any time ask groups to refrain from loud behavior.
- Stay in your seats; do not play in the aisles, vestibules or on stairs.
- Keep feet off the seats.
- Take trash with you and place in receptacles on station platforms.
- Respect train staff and other passengers. When traveling home during peak hours please understand that you are sharing the train with commuters who have had a long and possibly stressful day - they expect their train ride to be peaceful.
Smaller Group Fare Options
Customers must pay for a minimum of 30 people to use the group rate. However, groups of about 15 or more can usually save money by paying for 30 tickets (the balance of tickets can be paid at the cheaper youth rate). Other ways for smaller groups to save money include the following:
- Ages 5-11: Family Fare allows up to 4 children (ages 5-11) to travel with each fare paying adult for just $1.00 each way.
- Ages 12-64: Off-Peak Ten Trip tickets can be shared, and offer a 15% discount off individual tickets.
- Age 65+: Senior Fares (50% off-Peak fares; not available for travel during AM peak).
- Check out our list of money-saving LIRR Deals & Getaways.
Group Travel Reservation Restrictions
The LIRR reserves the right to establish which trains have excess capacity to handle groups, and rules for safety. The sale of any ticket includes no assurance of a seat on a particular train. Groups will not be reserved:
- On peak trains that arrive before 9:30 AM on business days at LIRR NYC Terminal Stations.
- On trains for games/events at Mets-Willets Point & Belmont Park special event stations.
- On holidays or holiday eves (afternoon/evening before major holidays)
- On major events dates such as large parades, major festivals, and regional bike tour dates.
- On Montauk Branch and Riverhead/Greenport trains on summer Fridays traveling east, or Sunday return trains.
- At any time when the safety of the group is a concern or when over-crowding is anticipated.
- On any train when groups have already been reserved and capacity has been maximized.
- If family fare or ticket types other than group tickets have been purchased (with the exception of large holiday school groups purchasing the free-rail packages).
- If the group is comprised predominantly of children under the age of five and the child-to-chaperone ratio is greater than 2 to 1. This ratio is recommended to safely transport large groups of young children on train rides.
Please reserve tickets at least two weeks in advance. For reservations, call 718-558-7419.
Monday - Friday 8:30 AM - 4PM (closed major holidays)
For travel ideas and money saving tips ... follow us on Twitter @ LIRRDeals4U
- Google Translate