Getaway on Your Own
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the MTA Long Island Rail Road is currently concentrating all efforts on ensuring the safe and reliable operation of the Expanded Essential Service Plan.
Please check with individual destinations for re-opening dates, guidelines, capacity and safety restrictions.
Take the LIRR to the station indicated (linked to train schedules and fares). For more information, check the event website link, or call the phone numbers listed.
High Line Park
The High Line is a public park built on a historic freight rail line elevated above the streets on Manhattan’s West Side. It runs from Gansevoort Street in the Meatpacking District to West 34th Street, between 10th and 12th Avenues.
- Dec 1 to Mar 31: 7:00 AM – 7:00 PM, Apr 1 to May 31: 7:00 AM – 10:00 PM, June 1 to Sept 30: 7:00 AM – 11:00 PM, Oct 1 to Nov 30: 7:00 AM – 10:00 PM
- 14th Street 8th Avenue to 34th Street 11th Avenue
- LIRR Schedules
NYC St Patrick's Day Parade
Free in NYC
NYCgo.com offers a list of things to do for free, and other itineraries for those in need of ideas for fun trips and places to visit.
Coffee & Tea Festival NYC
Join more than 60 exhibitors from around the globe as they pour tastings of their finest coffees and teas and introduce you to new and award-winning products – the 2017 lineup will surpass all years past and include more coffee, as requested! This international extravaganza celebrating all things coffee and tea will offer two days of seminars from well-known industry pros and pioneers, pairings, tastings, and more! The 28,000 sq. ft. exhibit hall will also feature some of the most delectable sweet and savory foods to compliment the spectacular collection of coffees and teas. Bring your family, bring your friends – make it an inexpensive and invigorating day out!
- March 21 – 22
- Prices $7.00 and up
- 72 Noble St, Brooklyn, NY 11222
- LIRR Schedules
- G Train to Greenpoint Ave Station, recommended stop
Gray Line Sightseeing
A great way to see New York City: Explore various neighborhoods in Manhattan or Brooklyn on Gray Line's hop-on, hop-off double-decker buses. Spend as much time as you like at one stop, re-board a bus and continue on to the next neighborhood.
- Walk west from Penn 34th Street entrance to 8th Avenue; proceed uptown to 777 Eighth Avenue.
- C or E uptown to 50th St. (8th Avenue)
- LIRR Schedules
- LIRR Discount Package
Fun in New York City
Long Island Fun - Coupons
Discover Long Island site has a collection of money saving coupons.
Train to the Game LIRR One-Ticket Ride to the New Meadowlands Stadium for Football Games and Select Events.
Seatuck Environmental Center
Encounter the wild world of Long Island in these unique programs designed for children ages 3-5 and at least one accompanying adult. Fun for the whole family awaits as you explore Long Island's natural world!
- Various dates and times
- Various locations in Suffolk County
- 631- 581-6908
For more travel ideas on Long Island visit:
- Discover Long Island
- Gold Coast Mansions/Historic LI
- Long Island Arts Alliance
- Long Island Events
- Long Island Wine Country
- LIRR NYC Getaways
- LIRR One-Day Getaways
Ways to Save on Train Travel:
- Small groups of adults can save with LIRR Off-Peak Ten Trip tickets which offer 15% off fares and can be shared. These tickets are good for six months and are available at "Ticket" machines and offices.
- Groups of 30 or more can save with LIRR Group Rates, however smaller groups (15 or more) may also save by paying this rate for 30 people. Call 511, say LIRR, then "Group Travel" to make a reservation.
- Family Travel Tip: The LIRR Family Fare allows up to four children, ages 5-11, to travel for $1.00 each way on off-peak trains when accompanied by an adult; children under 5 ride free (family fare ticket CAN be used for afternoon peak train; NOT morning peak)
Join Our Mailing/Email List here.Enjoy your trip and thank you for riding the Long Island Rail Road.
Last Updated: 5/13/20
- Google Translate