Getaway on Your Own
Take the LIRR to the station indicated (linked to train schedules and fares). For more information, check the event website link, or call the phone numbers listed.
Fun in New York City
Winter Village at Bryant Park
Bank of America Winter Village at Bryant Park is Manhattan’s winter wonderland. Enjoy New York City’s only free admission ice skating rink, the Holiday Shops, and rink side eats and drinks at The Lodge Deck by Urban space.
- Now until March 7
- 40th Street – 42nd Streets and between 5th Avenue and 6th Avenue
- Contact info
- LIRR Schedules
NYC Restaurant Week To Go
A takeout- and delivery-only version of NYC Restaurant Week, offering lunch or dinner for a set price of $20.21. The offer includes a prix-fixe entrée and at least one side. Plus, if you purchase your meal with your registered Mastercard®, you’ll get $10 back.
- Through February 28
- To participate sign up at NYC Restaurant To/Go
- Various locations
- Takeout lunch or dinner for $20.21
- LIRR Schedules
High Line Park
The High Line is a public park built on a historic freight rail line elevated above the streets on Manhattan’s West Side. It runs from Gansevoort Street in the Meatpacking District to West 34th Street, between 10th and 12th Avenues.
- Open Daily Noon to 8 PM
- 14th Street 8th Avenue to 34th Street 11th Avenue
- LIRR Schedules
Fun on Long Island
Looking to escape the stresses of city life at the dawn of the twentieth century, Stonybrook Village offers all the old world charm of colonial Williamsburg, only a short train ride away.
Avalon Nature Preserve
Avalon Preserve offers many distinctive hiking and walking opportunities for individuals of varied abilities; whether you wish to hike undulating forest trails or enjoy the sweeping views of meadows, you will find a trail for exploring
Long Beach – Boardwalk
From walking the boardwalk to grabbing a bite to eat, or simply watching the waves, there is still so much to do at the City by the Sea.
Wine-down at your favorite Long Island winery. You’ll be surprised at how many vineyards there are to choose from. Make a day of it or a weekend. Either way, you’re sure to fall in love with Long Island Wine Country.
Mansions and Arboretums
So much beauty and grandeur await you. Historic mansions, sprawling gardens; all with the quintessential charm of days gone by. Pick your favorite, or see them all!
Although they are closed for amusement rides they will continue to bring you and your family safe fun with drive-in movies and concerts throughout the fall.
- 2245 Broad Hollow Road (RT. 110), Farmingdale, NY 11735
- LIRR Schedules
Magic Lights Show
Magic of Lights is a dazzling, drive-through holiday lights experience featuring favorite holiday scenes and characters of the season using the latest LED technology and digital animations. Experience Magic of Lights from the comfort and safety of your own car as you wind through the sparkling path of Long Island’s favorite holiday tradition. One carload, one price.
- November 13th thru January 2nd various times
- Jones Beach State Park
- Various pricing
"Port Jeff" is a picturesque village of natural beauty and a worthy trip for a day of fun. Tucked away in many of the winding little streets are some fantastic restaurants and shops. Enjoy a day at sea on the Long Island Sound! Choose from some of the special events hosted by the Bridgeport/Port Jefferson Ferry Company including their New England Tours or day trips Take advantage of the Long Island Rail Roads Port Jefferson Ferry Package. Dicken's Festival Scheduled Activities: TBA Limited out door and in door events Only on Saturday
- Port Jefferson ($5 one-way taxi fare, without package, 631-473-0707)
- Package offered daily
- Dickens Festival, Saturday, December 5 only from 1 PM – 7 PM
Riverhead is a quaint village at the mouth of the Peconic River. While you are in Riverhead visit the LI Aquarium go shopping at the many local stores or trek over to Tanger Outlets, visit a brewery and dine at one of the many restaurants some right on the river’s edge. All conveniently located near the LIRR Riverhead Station.
Seatuck Environmental Center
Encounter the wild world of Long Island in these unique programs designed for children ages 3-5 and at least one accompanying adult. Fun for the whole family awaits as you explore Long Island's natural world!
- Various dates and times
- Various locations in Suffolk County
- 631- 581-6908
Smith Point Light Show
You're invited to our 17th annual holiday light show. Drive along the 1.5-mile trail at Smith Point County Park Campgrounds filled with dazzling holiday light displays
- December 1st thru 30th closed the 24th and 25th various times
- Smith Point County Park Campground, Fire Island Beach Rd, Shirley, NY 11967
For more travel ideas on Long Island visit:
- Discover Long Island
- Gold Coast Mansions/Historic LI
- Long Island Arts Alliance
- Long Island Events
- Long Island Wine Country
- LIRR NYC Getaways
- LIRR One-Day Getaways
Train to the Game: the LIRR is the best way to see your teams and players in action.
Ways to Save on Train Travel:
- Small groups of adults can save with LIRR Off-Peak Ten Trip tickets which offer 15% off fares and can be shared. These tickets are good for six months and are available at "Ticket" machines and offices.
- Groups of 30 or more can save with LIRR Group Rates, however smaller groups (15 or more) may also save by paying this rate for 30 people. Call 511, say LIRR, then "Group Travel" to make a reservation.
- Family Travel Tip: The LIRR Family Fare allows up to four children, ages 5-11, to travel for $1.00 each way on off-peak trains when accompanied by an adult; children under 5 ride free (family fare ticket CAN be used for afternoon peak train; NOT morning peak)
Join Our Mailing/Email List here
Enjoy your trip and thank you for riding the Long Island Rail Road.
Last Updated: 11/10/20
- Google Translate