Super Bowl XLVIII
Take the LIRR to all the Super Bowl fun!
Super Bowl Boulevard, Engineered by GMC: The Epicenter for NFL Fans During Super Bowl XLVIII celebrating all things Football
Taking the train is not only the best way to Super Bowl Sunday at Met Life Stadium on February 2nd – but is also the best way to Super Bowl Boulevard in midtown Manhattan, beginning on January 29th through February 1st between noon and 10PM each day. This interactive football themed experience, dubbed Super Bowl Boulevard” is located on Broadway between 34th and 47th Streets – just a football throw away from Penn Station. Some of the exciting events include a Super Bowl Virtual Theater on the façade of Macy’s and the NFL shop at Super Bowl in Macy’s; NFL Rush Zone and NFL Play 60; an Autograph and Concert Stage, a 60 foot high Toboggan run; the Vince Lombardi Trophy display and the iconic Super Bowl XLVIII Roman Numerals. For additional details on what to expect at Super Bowl Boulevard, check out nynjsuperbowl.com for the latest information.
Additional train service during key time frames will be operated on Ronkonkoma, Port Washington, Babylon and Huntington Branches between January 29 and February 2, 2014 (Super Bowl Sunday). In addition, existing service will run with additional cars to support the expected increased ridership. To stay in the know, please download the LIRR’s “Train Time®” App.
Additional LIRR Super Bowl Service
In order to accommodate fans travelling to/from Super Bowl related events in New York City there will be additional train service to and from Penn Station on the Babylon, Port Jefferson (to/from Huntington), Port Washington and Ronkonkoma Branches from Wednesday, January 29 through Sunday, February 2. There will be 16 additional trains on the weekdays and eight additional weekend trains Super Bowl week. For more information, see our special Super Bowl brochure.
Weekdays (January 29-January 31)
- Eleven additional weekday westbound trains
- Two additional weekday evening eastbound trains on the Port Jefferson Branch to Hicksville and Huntington
- Three additional weekday evening eastbound trains on the Ronkonkoma Branch
Weekend (February 1-February 2)
- Three additional weekend eastbound and three additional weekend westbound trains on the Babylon Branch
- One additional late night weekend eastbound train on the Babylon Branch
- One additional late night weekend eastbound train on the Port Jefferson Branch (to Huntington)
Note: If you are traveling to the Meadowlands from Penn Station on Super Bowl Sunday, February 2, you must show your ticket to the Super Bowl game before you will be allowed to connect to the Meadowlands shuttle train at Secaucus Junction. If you purchase a rail ticket to Meadowlands Rail Station and don't have a ticket to attend the game, you will not be permitted to board the connecting shuttle train from Secaucus to the Meadowlands Rail Station. In this case, your partly used ticket will not be eligible for a refund.
Regional Transit Map:
Super Bowl on Sunday, February 2nd, 2014: Customers can take the LIRR (via NJ TRANSIT connection at Penn Station) to the MetLife Stadium
LIRR One-Ticket Ride to MetLife Stadium is valid on LIRR & NJ TRANSIT – just purchase at your home station to “Meadowlands”
- Take a regularly scheduled LIRR train to Penn Station.
- At Penn, proceed to NJ TRANSIT’s upper or lower level concourses on 8th Avenue side of Penn Station to board a NJ TRANSIT train to Secaucus Junction (SEC), about a 12-minute ride. Check NJ TRANSIT monitors for track assignments for trains to “SEC” or listen to announcements. NJ TRANSIT tracks are numbered 1-12; some NJ TRANSIT trains may use LIRR Tracks 13-16 on weekends.
- At Secaucus Junction, show your rail ticket at the gate and then follow the signs to the lower level for the short train shuttle ride to the Stadium. Please verify your itinerary at njtransit.com for schedules to Meadowlands from NY Penn Station or Secaucus Junction (SEC) on Super Bowl Sunday.
- NJ TRANSIT will not allow customers to board Meadowlands Shuttle trains at Secaucus without possession of a Super Bowl Game ticket. Customers refused access to Meadowlands Shuttle trains will not be eligible for a refund of unused train tickets.
LIRR and NJ TRANSIT trains are not direct connections - please time your trip accordingly. See LIRR Schedules and NJ TRANSIT Meadowlands Schedules (NJ TRANSIT lists Penn as "New York Penn Station").
For Sunday, February 2 game day train schedule click here.
Note: MetLife Stadium does not allow coolers or any oversized containers on their property.
Buying Train Tickets
LIRR customers can purchase joint LIRR/NJ TRANSIT Transit tickets to "Meadowlands" Station for off-peak one-way, round-trip and ten-trip travel. At machines, select the button that reads "...to Another Station", then select "M", then "Meadowlands" Station. These tickets are valid for travel on both LIRR and NJ TRANSIT trains for the Super Bowl. We recommend you purchase round-trip tickets before boarding since NJ TRANSIT does NOT sell this joint ticket, and tickets purchased on-board trains cost more (see NJ TRANSIT ticket rules).
The joint Meadowlands tickets are NOT available at Penn, Brooklyn, Long Island City or Hunterspoint Avenue LIRR stations and are NOT available on board LIRR trains. Super Bowl Game tickets are required to board NJ TRANSIT Shuttle at Secaucus to Meadowlands on Super Bowl Sunday.
At Ticket Machine or Ticket Office: Purchase a round-trip joint ticket to the “Meadowlands” Station for off-peak travel. Price is standard LIRR fare plus $10.50 for round-trip NJ TRANSIT portion of travel. NJ TRANSIT does not sell the joint ticket, therefore we recommend round-trip purchases.
LIRR Tickets Holders: Commuters/customers that already have an LIRR ticket to Penn or Zone 1 must purchase a NJ TRANSIT ticket to the Meadowlands. NJ TRANSIT tickets can be purchased at windows on the NJ TRANSIT upper level or at ticket machines, available throughout the NJ TRANSIT upper and lower levels. NJ TRANSIT machines list Penn as "New York Penn Station." Please allow extra time as lines may be long before games. We suggest using machines in NJ TRANSIT waiting area.
Tickets & Fares
Adults (ages 12-61)
LIRR tickets to “Meadowlands” include the standard LIRR and NJ TRANSIT fare. The current NJ TRANSIT round-trip fare is $10.50 (NJ TRANSIT has discontinued the round-trip discount). Off-peak ten-trip tickets offer a 15% savings on the LIRR fares, and include 10 NJ TRANSIT one-way fares.
Fare difference exists for Seniors & Children; please read carefully to get the best fare:
- Adults (ages 62-64)
To receive the cheapest fare we recommend you purchase separate tickets: standard Adult LIRR fare to Penn Station, and Senior fare at NJ TRANSIT ticket offices or ticket machines.
- Seniors (age 65 and Over)
LIRR Senior tickets to “Meadowlands” include the standard LIRR discounted Senior fare. LIRR Senior Ten Trip tickets are available as a convenience ticket at 10 times these fares.
- Children (ages 5-11)
LIRR tickets to “Meadowlands” include the LIRR family fare of $1.00 each way. The LIRR fare is good for up to 4 children per adult.
Be sure to allow time to purchase tickets before boarding. LIRR one-way and round-trip tickets are now valid for 60 Days from date of sale. Ten-trip tickets are valid for six months and can be shared. Tickets are refundable up to 6-months from date of sale and are subject to a $10 processing fee per transaction.
NJ TRANSIT Ticket Rules
Customers must have either a joint LIRR/NJ TRANSIT ticket to the Meadowlands or a NJ TRANSIT-only ticket from New York Penn Station to the Meadowlands before boarding NJ TRANSIT trains at Penn Station. NJ TRANSIT train crews check tickets on-board trains. Customers without tickets from Penn Station to the Meadowlands will have to purchase them on board NJ TRANSIT trains and be subject to the $5 additional fee or purchase a New York Penn Station-to-Meadowlands ticket at a Secaucus TVM prior to entering the station or going through NJ TRANSIT fare gates.
- Super Bowl Sunday - NJ TRANSIT has a supersaver fare in effect; up to two children per adult ride for free. If one adult is traveling with more than 2 children on weekends, they must purchase extra child tickets at NJ TRANSIT windows or ticket machines. Super Bowl Game ticket(s) are required for access to NJ TRANSIT Shuttle to Meadowlands on Super Bowl Sunday.
Children under 5
Up to three children ride free with each adult.
- Buy round-trip tickets to the Meadowlands (LIRR/NJ TRANSIT) in advance; select "To Another Station" and then "M" for Meadowlands at LIRR ticket machines at your home station. Meadowlands tickets are not available on-board, or from Penn or Brooklyn. Commuters/customers with LIRR tickets to Penn or Zone 1 should purchase Meadowlands tickets from NJ TRANSIT windows/machines.
- Plan your travel time accordingly; trains are not direct connections.
- Remember to take your tickets when changing trains.
- The MetLife Stadium does not allow coolers or any oversized containers on their property.
Guests are welcome to carry-in the following items into MetLife Stadium:
- Clear bags that are 12" x 6" x 12" or less in size (1 bag per person)
- Small purses/handbags(clutch-type bags) that are 4.5" x 6.5" or less in size (1 per person)
- Food of any kind that is contained in a clear plastic bag
- Factory-sealed, plastic bottles of water or soft drinks that are 20 oz. or less in size (caps will be removed by Safety Services team members)
- Still-photography cameras with a lens that is 6" or less in length not contained in a case
- Hand-carried jackets, blankets, or other items, which will be patted down or searched
All bags and other permissible items will be subject to multiple screenings prior to entering MetLife Stadium.
- Google Translate