Fares & Ticket Information
FARES & POLICIES - EFFECTIVE MARCH 1, 2013
- New Fares (Effective March 22, 2015)
- Current Fares
- Current Mail&Ride Fares
- Current Fare Table
- Fares by To/From Station
- Which Ticket Should I Buy? - Ways to Save
- Buy Before Boarding - Save money on tickets
- WebTicket - Order tickets online
- Mail&Ride - Save on Monthly tickets with Unlimited MetroCard
- Ticket Offices
- Ticket Machines
- On Board Trains
- Transit Benefits
- Peak, Off-Peak and Holidays Defined
- Daily Ticket Types - One-Way, Round-Trip, Senior, People with Disabilities, Medicare, Child/Family Fare
- Multiple-Ride Ticket Types - Monthly, Weekly, Ten-Trip, Monthly School, UniTickets
- Group Tickets
- Deals & Getaways - Money Saving Specials
Order tickets online through WebTicket. MetroCard and UniTicket options are also available. Use any major credit card. Postage is free and tickets are sent by mail 3-5 business days after you place your order. Purchase monthly tickets by the 22nd of each month.
Join Mail&Ride and enjoy the convenience of our monthly ticket-by-mail subscription service. Save 2% when you purchase a joint Monthly Ticket/Monthly Unlimited MetroCard. You can manage your account online, and pay using a number of convenient options. Visit www.mailandride.com for details or call 511, say “LIRR” – then say “Mail&Ride” at the prompt. All tickets have a MetroCard on the reverse side. Choose the MetroCard option that works best for you:
- $0 Option: $0 MetroCard value and LIRR fare. MetroCard value can be added at any NYC Transit station booth.
- $50.00 Option: $52.50 MetroCard value and LIRR fare. MetroCard value can be added or transferred to another card at any NYC Transit station booth. MetroCard valid for 6 months.
- $112 Option: Unlimited Monthly MetroCard and 2% discount on LIRR fare. Expires at the end of the month. MetroCard value cannot be added or transferred to another card. Unlimited Metrocard cannot be used on Express Buses.
Ticket offices sell all LIRR ticket types and offer certain values of MetroCard when purchased with LIRR tickets. Ticket offices accept cash, personal checks, major credit cards, bank-issued debit cards, as well as certain Transit Benefit Cards. Personal checks are accepted for the purchase of Monthly, Weekly, and Ten-Trip tickets, as well as five or more One Way tickets. Ticket office hours are posted at stations and on the LIRR Station page here.
LIRR has four types of Ticket Machines:
- Gray "Tickets" machines are full-service machines, selling most LIRR ticket types, pre-valued MetroCard, and UniTickets. These machines accept cash (up to $50 bills and coin, returning up to $17.75 in coin change) as well as ATM/debit cards, and major credit cards.
- Red "Daily Tickets" machines sell One-Way and Round-Trip tickets and $25 pre-valued MetroCard only. These machines accept cash (up to $50 bills and coin, returning up to $17.75 in coin change) as well as ATM/debit cards, and MasterCard, Visa, American Express, and Discover credit cards.
- Blue "Tickets - Credit/Debit/ATM Cards" machines sell most LIRR ticket types, pre-valued MetroCard, and UniTickets. These machines accept card payments only: ATM/debit cards, and MasterCard, Visa, American Express, and Discover credit cards. They do not accept cash.
- Green, "Tickets - AirTrain" machines sell most LIRR ticket types, and offer $5 AirTrain MetroCards. These machines accept cash (up to $50 bills and coin, returning up to $17.75 in coin change) as well as ATM/debit cards, and major credit cards.
Only one payment type or card is accepted per transaction. To use Transit Benefit cards, the full value of your ticket purchase must be available on the card. Contact your provider about adding post tax dollars to purchase tickets that exceed the pre-tax benefit amount provided on these cards.
Peak one-way, and off-peak one-way tickets may be purchased on board trains at a cost of $5.75 to $6.50 more than tickets bought before boarding at ticket machines or ticket windows. This higher on-board fare does not apply to customers boarding at stations without a ticket office/ticket machine, senior citizens, people with disabilities or Medicare customers. Cash only; no bills larger than $50. Off-peak tickets will be "stepped up" to the peak fare when presented on peak trains. Step-up fares and extension of ride fares (extra fare charged for traveling beyond the stations listed on the ticket) will be rounded up to the next dollar. Round-trip tickets are no longer sold on-board. Please purchase your return trip tickets at ticket windows/machines before boarding.
Ask your Human Resources Department if your company offers a tax-free transit benefit program. You can save up to 40% each year by having a portion of your pre-tax salary set aside for commutation costs. Contact your employer or visit www.transitsolutions.org and ask about participation that saves both you and your company money. See here for additional infomation on pre-tax federal transit benefit programs.
- Peak Fares are charged during business rush hours, on any weekday train scheduled to arrive in NYC terminals between 6 and 10 AM or depart NYC terminals between 4 and 8 PM.
- Off-Peak Fares are charged all other times on weekdays, all day on Saturdays and Sundays and holidays as listed below.
- Holidays - Off-Peak Fares are valid and LIRR trains operate on a weekend schedule on the following holidays: New Year's Day, Martin Luther King, Jr. Day, President's Day, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Thanksgiving Day and Christmas Day.
- Black Friday - Off-Peak Fares are valid all day even though LIRR trains operate on a weekday schedule on the day after Thanksgiving.
- Senior/Disabled & Medicare tickets will be honored all day on the holidays listed above and on Columbus Day, Election Day and Veterans Day.
Good for one ride in either direction, and sold for peak or off-peak travel. Off-peak fares are approximately 27.25% less than peak fares. Off-peak fares are available for travel between Zones 1 or 3 and all other zones; peak fares are specially priced for local (Zone 4-14) travel so the off-peak fare is the same. Valid for 60 days (including date of sale).
Good for two rides, and sold for peak or off-peak travel. Priced at the combination of one-way fares selected (peak both ways, off-peak both ways, peak/off-peak, senior both ways, etc.). Valid for 60 days (including date of sale).
Individuals 65 years of age or older save 50% off the peak fare. Valid all times except weekday morning peak (westbound) trains. Customers must have a Medicare card, driver's license or U.S. passport, NYC Department of Aging ID card, birth certificate (if accompanied by another form of identification that contains the signature of the customer), or MTA Reduced-Fare MetroCard available to present at time of ticket purchase or use. Sold as an option under "One Way" or "Round Trip" ticket buttons on Ticket Machines. Valid for 60 days (including date of sale).
People with Disabilities/Medicare Recipients
People with Disabilities / Medicare recipients of any age must present a valid Medicare card issued by the Social Security Administration, or an MTA Reduced-Fare MetroCard at time of ticket purchase or use to obtain half-fare price. Applications for MTA Reduced-Fare MetroCard are processed by New York City Transit. Valid all times except weekday morning peak (westbound) trains. Sold as an option under "One Way" or "Round Trip" ticket buttons on Ticket Machines. Valid for 60 days (including date of sale).
Child Fare (5-11 years old)
Save 50% off the adult peak fare, or may use Family Fare - see restriction below. These tickets are sold as an option under "One-Way" or "Round-Trip" ticket buttons on Ticket Machines. Valid for 60 days (including date of sale). Children under age 5 ride the LIRR free at all times (no ticket required)..
Family Fare (Off-Peak & PM Peak Travel Only)
Up to four children (ages 5-11) ride for the fare of $1.00 each when accompanied by a fare-paying adult (18 years or older). The fifth child and all other children pay Child Fare. Family Fare tickets presented on morning peak trains are subject to a substantial price adjustment. Valid for 60 days (including date of sale).
All Active Duty military personnel who present an authorized Active Duty Identification Card will be charged the off-peak fare at all times.
Pay $4.00 for travel within New York City on Saturdays/Sundays with CityTicket. Ticket is only valid on the day of purchase and cannot be combined with other tickets. Ticket is sold at ticket windows or ticket machines located in Manhattan, Brooklyn or Queens. Not valid for travel to/from Far Rockaway and Belmont Park.
If you are going to travel for more than one day, you may save money purchasing one of our multiple-ride tickets. Monthly and weekly tickets are non-transferable. They are for the exclusive use of the person who first presents them, must be signed by the owner, and are subject to confiscation if used by anyone other than the owner.
Good for unlimited rides during the calendar month indicated on the ticket. On sale starting the 20th of the month prior to the valid month of travel (for example: on May 20th you can buy June's ticket) at Ticket Offices and Ticket Machines. Sold in advance from WebTicket. Non-transferable.
Good for unlimited rides Saturday through Friday; expiration date indicated on the face of the ticket. On sale starting the Wednesday before the Saturday that the ticket becomes valid. Sold in advance from WebTicket. Non-transferable.
Good for ten one-way rides from/to City Zone 1 only. Valid for 6 months
(including date of sale). Available from WebTicket. Transferable - can be used by more than one person even when they are traveling
The following ten-trip ticket types are available:
- Ten-Trip Peak: Convenience ticket sold at the price of 10 peak one-way fares.
- Ten-Trip Off-Peak: Good on off-peak trains from/to City Zone 1 only. LIRR’s Best Buy for off-peak: save up to 15% off the price of 10 off-peak one-way fares for the same fare zone.
- Seniors/People with Disabilities/Medicare Ten-Trip: Convenience ticket sold at the price of 10 senior/people with disabilities/medicate one-way fares.
Monthly School Tickets
Special Fares are available for students under 21 years of age attending accredited elementary or secondary schools. Discount of up to one-third off the price of a regular Monthly ticket. Complete Application and bring to a ticket office. Applications must be signed by a school official and have the school seal affixed. Non-transferable.
UniTickets are combination bus/rail tickets that offer special discounts for monthly or weekly travel to/from certain LIRR stations on local bus routes. UniTickets are valid on certain New York City Transit buses in Queens, NICE Bus in Nassau County, and Long Beach Bus buses. The following discounted bus options are available with the purchase of LIRR Monthly or Weekly tickets:
|NICE - All Buses||$48.25||$11.75|
|Long Beach - All Buses||$30||NA|
|NYCT - Q5, Q12, Q13, Q15, Q16, Q17, Q20, Q26, Q27, Q28, Q31, Q44, Q48, Q85, (at Rosedale, Bayside & Flushing LIRR Stations only)||$39.75||$10.75|
|MTA Bus - Q19, Q25, Q34, Q50, Q65 and Q66 (at Flushing LIRR Station only.)||$39.75||$10.75|
Special discounted one-day, round-trip group tickets may be purchased for organized groups of 30 or more. Smaller groups of 10 or more may still be able to save. Group leaders should call 718-558-7419 Monday - Friday, 8 AM - 4 PM for reservations at least two weeks in advance. Group tickets are sold through this department in advance, and at open ticket offices (please avoid morning rush hours).
Special deals are developed by the LIRR in conjunction with major attractions, venues or special events to offer discounts to LIRR customers. Offers vary throughout the year.
- New York City Getaways are available throughout the year.
- Long Island Getaways to Long Island are typically more seasonal (May - November) but some are available year-round; some are escorted and available on certain dates/trains only.
- Beach Packages are available during Summer months and include: Long Beach, Jones Beach, Robert Moses and various Fire Island locations (one day use only).
- Belmont Package and service is available during the Spring/Fall Meets and for the Belmont Stakes.
- Free Rail or discount offers (Broadway Shows, Radio City Christmas Spectacular, etc.) typically require use of a code and have special restrictions; these tickets/discounts are usually available at the venue, and TicketMaster or Telecharge, and are not sold by the LIRR.
Most tickets are available for sale at LIRR Ticket Offices and gray, blue or green "Tickets" Machines (listed under "Deals & Getaways" button on the right, on the first screen). Since each sale may contain more than one ticket stub, please wait for all tickets to be printed. Stubs are labeled for rail or admission use.
MetroCard is a fare medium used for MTA NYC Transit subways and buses, and acceptable on NICE Bus. Some ticket options may be purchased with aMetroCard on the reverse side.
- LIRR offers both the $5.00 round-trip (2 rides) separately or on round-trip ticket types. If bought separately, a $1 fee will apply ($6 total cost).
- Round-trip tickets may be purchased with a $5.00 MetroCard on the reverse side.
- Monthly tickets automatically come with a MetroCard on the reverse side. You can choose to add a pre-valued amount to the card at the time you purchase it.
- All ticket machines and ticket offices offer a separate $25 MetroCard ($26.25 value). A $1 fee will apply ($26 total cost). This fee does not apply to the LIRR Monthly with $50 MetroCard and LIRR Round Trip with $5 MetroCard. All MetroCards can be refilled for further use at any NYC Transit MetroCard Vending Machine (MVM) or subway booth. A new MetroCard will be issued at no charge if your card is expiring or damaged. This must be handled at a NYC Transit subway booth or through NYC Transit’s MetroCard Customer Claims. For more details, visit www.mta.info/nyct.
- Green ticket machines have the AirTrain logo and offer AirTrain MetroCards.
Effective March 3, 2013, a $1.00 fee will be charged for each new MetroCard purchased at a commuter rail station, MVM or subway booth. You can avoid this fee by keeping and refilling your current MetroCard at any MVM or subway booth. The new $1.00 charge will NOT apply to customers who purchase a combination railroad/MetroCard ticket.
A $10 refund processing fee is charged for each refund transaction, and includes all ticket types.
Validity of Tickets & Refunds Chart
|Ticket Type||Valid for||Refundable for|
|One Way/Round Trip||60 days including date of sale||60 days|
|Monthly||Calendar Month||Current Month (based on turn-in date)|
|Weekly||Saturday to Friday||Current Week (based on turn-in date)|
|Ten-Trip||6 months||6 months|
|CityTicket||Valid on the same date of purchase
and on Saturdays/Sundays only
|60 days from the date of purchase|
|Deals & Getaways||Event date(s) or 60 days including date of sale||60 days (complete package purchase only)|
|Hamptons Reserve||Date of travel on ticket only||60 days*|
*Hamptons Reserve cancellations MUST be made in advance. All cancellations must be made by NOON of the Thursday prior to your departure date. If cancellation is not made in advance, no refund will be given. Once you cancel, mail in your tickets to: Hamptons Reserve Office at 93-59 183rd Street, Hollis, NY 11423, mail code 3158A. Include your name and address and ALL tickets being returned.
Must Return Original Tickets
The actual original unused or partially used ticket (not a photocopy) must be submitted. Lost, stolen or damaged tickets are not refundable.
All refund requests are handled through our Ticket Refund office, but tickets may be turned in at staffed ticket offices, where customer will be asked to fill out a form. Refunds for tickets submitted by mail will be calculated using the postmark as the turn-in date, and customers will be charged for the date of the postmark.
Refund checks will be mailed to customers within 30 days after the Ticket Refund Department receives the request. For credit card sales, refunds will be issued as credits to customer credit card accounts when possible.
Monthly and Weekly Ticket Refunds
If commutation tickets are submitted for refund, the discount is forfeited, and we must deduct the proper combination of one-way and/or weekly fares for the period the ticket has been in the customer's possession. Monthly and weekly tickets that are not being used should be turned in immediately; the refund will be calculated identically for punched and unpunched tickets. Monthly and weekly tickets turned in for refund by 9:30 AM at the customer's home station ticket office will not be charged for the turn-in day.
Refund Example: Customer turns in a monthly ticket valid from Penn Station
to Babylon, at Babylon Station ticket office before 9:30 AM on Tuesday
the 8th (in a month that started with a Tuesday).
The cheapest tickets that could have been used total $176.50:
Weekly ticket for Tuesday-Friday, Days 1-4 ($104)
Off-peak, Round Trip for Saturday-Sunday, Days 5 & 6 ($43)
Peak Round Trip for Monday, Day 7 ($29.50)
Original price $325 - $176.50 = $148.50 - $10 processing fee = $138.50 refund
MetroCard portions of combined monthly MetroCard and train tickets are refunded subject to a forfeit of discount, and prorating. Refunds of Monthly Unlimited MetroCard are also subject to a $10 processing fee in addition to forfeit of discount and prorating.
Refunds will be made by check or credited back to the debit or credit card used to purchase the ticket.
Ten-Trip Ticket Refunds
Unused or partially-used Ten-Trip tickets (valid for six months form date of sale) can be refunded for six months (including date of sale). Since off-peak ten-trip tickets are sold at a discount, refunds will be calculated by deducting the cost of off-peak one-way tickets for each ride used.
Deals & Getaways Refunds
Due to the heavy discounts provided, refunds will only be provided if all ticket stubs are submitted. Refunds are reviewed by the LIRR Sales & Promotions office. Please include a daytime phone number and explanation with your ticket submittal. Refunds are available for up to 30 days and the $10 service fee per transaction is charged.
Mail Ticket Refund Form with original tickets to:
LIRR Ticket Refunds Department
P.O. Box 350383
Jamaica, NY 11435
Hours: Monday - Friday, 8 AM - 4 PM
Phone: 511 and say "LIRR", then say "Ticket Refunds".
The LIRR is not responsible for forgotten tickets. If you forget your ticket, you should purchase a round-trip ticket at your station or you will have to pay the higher on-board fare price. Fares paid in lieu of forgotten, destroyed or damaged tickets are not refundable.
Should any questions arise as to proper fare and ticket privileges, please pay fare requested, obtain receipt and communicate with us.
- Google Translate