Fares & Ticket Information
FARES & POLICIES - EFFECTIVE MARCH 19, 2017
- Current Fares
- Mail&Ride Fares
- Fare Table
- Fares by To/From Station
- Which Ticket Should I Buy? - Ways to Save
- MTA eTix - Buy LIRR Tickets Anytime, Anywhere
- Buy Before Boarding - Save money on tickets
- Mail&Ride - Save on Monthly tickets with Unlimited MetroCard
- Ticket Offices
- Ticket Machines
- On Board Trains
- Transit Benefits
- Peak, Off-Peak and Holidays Defined
- Daily Ticket Types - One-Way, Round-Trip, Reduced-Fare Tickets for Senior Citizens/Medicare Recipients/People with Disabilities, Child/Family Fare
- Atlantic Ticket
- Multiple-Ride Ticket Types - Monthly, Weekly, Ten-Trip, Monthly School, UniTickets
- Group Tickets
- Deals & Getaways - Money Saving Specials
Join Mail&Ride and enjoy the convenience of our monthly ticket-by-mail subscription service. Save 2% when you purchase a joint Monthly Ticket/Monthly Unlimited MetroCard. You can manage your account online, and pay using a number of convenient options. Visit www.mailandride.com for details or call 511, say “LIRR” – then say “Mail&Ride” at the prompt. All tickets have a MetroCard on the reverse side. Choose the MetroCard option that works best for you:
- $0 Option: $0 MetroCard value and LIRR fare. MetroCard value can be added at any NYC Transit station booth.
- $50.00 Option: $52.50 MetroCard value and LIRR fare. MetroCard value can be added or transferred to another card at any NYC Transit station booth. MetroCard valid for 6 months.
- $121.00 Option:Unlimited Monthly MetroCard and 2% discount on LIRR fare. Expires at the end of the month. MetroCard value cannot be added or transferred to another card. Unlimited Metrocard cannot be used on Express Buses.
MTA eTix is a mobile ticketing app that lets customers purchase and use LIRR tickets directly on smartphones and mobile devices. Here’s how it works:
- Download the free MTA eTix mobile ticketing app from the Apple Store or Google Play and set up an account in advance of travel.
- Purchase MTA eTix mobile tickets before traveling. Activate tickets JUST BEFORE boarding the train, and have your mobile device ready for ticket validation.
- Self-service functions provide additional conveniences — including refunds, receipts, account updates, and more.
For more information visit: mta.info/eTix.
Ticket offices sell all LIRR ticket types and offer certain values of MetroCard when purchased with LIRR tickets. Ticket offices accept cash, personal checks, major credit cards, bank-issued debit cards, as well as certain Transit Benefit Cards. Personal checks are accepted for the purchase of Monthly, Weekly, and Ten-Trip tickets, as well as five or more One Way tickets. Ticket office hours are posted at stations and on the LIRR Station page here.
LIRR has five types of Ticket Machines:
- Gray "Tickets" machines are full-service machines, selling most LIRR ticket types, pre-valued MetroCard, and UniTickets. These machines accept cash (up to $50 bills and coin, returning up to $17.75 in coin change) as well as ATM/debit cards, and major credit cards. Some Gray Ticket Machines have a Smart Card Reader.
- Red "Daily Tickets" machines sell One-Way and Round-Trip tickets and $25 pre-valued MetroCard only. These machines accept cash (up to $50 bills and coin, returning up to $17.75 in coin change) as well as ATM/debit cards, and MasterCard, Visa, American Express, and Discover credit cards.
- Blue "Tickets - Credit/Debit/ATM Cards" machines sell most LIRR ticket types, pre-valued MetroCard, and UniTickets. These machines accept card payments only: ATM/debit cards, and MasterCard, Visa, American Express, and Discover credit cards. They do not accept cash.
- Green, "Tickets - AirTrain" machines sell most LIRR ticket types, and offer $5 AirTrain MetroCards. These machines accept cash (up to $50 bills and coin, returning up to $17.75 in coin change) as well as ATM/debit cards, and major credit cards.
Only one payment type or card is accepted per transaction. To use Transit Benefit cards, the full value of your ticket purchase must be available on the card. Contact your provider about adding post tax dollars to purchase tickets that exceed the pre-tax benefit amount provided on these cards.
On Board Trains
Purchasing your ticket On-Board the train is a cash-only transaction and the most expensive option. Only One-Way tickets may be purchased On-Board trains and they cost $5.75 to $6.50 more than tickets bought before boarding at Ticket Offices/Machines. Cash only; no bills over $50. Off-Peak tickets will be "stepped up" to the Peak fare when presented on Peak trains. Step-up fares and Extension-of-ride fares (extra fare charged for traveling beyond the stations listed on the ticket) will be rounded up to the next dollar. Round-Trip tickets are no longer sold on-board. Please purchase your return trip tickets at ticket windows/machines before boarding.
Commuter Benefit Programs
Ask your Human Resources Department if your company offers a tax-free transit benefit program. You can save up to 40% each year by having a portion of your pre-tax salary set aside for commutation costs.
Please be advised that transit benefit providers are entirely independent of the LIRR, and each will have its own rules, regulations, and terms and conditions with respect to such matters as disbursement of remaining funds in the event of employment termination, rollover of remaining funds from year to year, and more. As funds used to buy LIRR tickets through a transit benefit program have not been taxed, if such tickets are returned to the LIRR for refund any monies due must be applied back to the transit benefit card used to make the purchase. The LIRR cannot issue a check or apply the refund amount to another card – there are no exceptions to this policy.
- Peak Fares are charged during business rush hours, on any weekday train scheduled to arrive in NYC terminals between 6 and 10 AM or depart NYC terminals between 4 and 8 PM.
- Off-Peak Fares are charged all other times on weekdays, all day on Saturdays and Sundays and holidays as listed below.
- Holidays - Off-Peak Fares are valid and LIRR trains operate on a weekend schedule on the following holidays: New Year's Day, Martin Luther King, Jr. Day, President's Day, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Thanksgiving Day and Christmas Day.
- Black Friday - Off-Peak Fares are valid all day even though LIRR trains operate on a weekday schedule on the day after Thanksgiving.
- Senior/Disabled & Medicare tickets will be honored all day on the holidays listed above and on Columbus Day, Election Day and Veterans Day.
The MTA is testing a new type of ticket for customers traveling between select stations in Southeast Queens and Brooklyn, including Atlantic Terminal. The Atlantic Ticket offers quick, convenient LIRR rides plus an option that includes a 7-Day Unlimited Ride MetroCard® for connections to NYC Transit (NYCT) subways and local buses. If you currently use the LIRR to travel to Atlantic Terminal from an eligible Atlantic Ticket station, switch to Atlantic Ticket and save money. Anyone who needs to travel between an eligible Atlantic Ticket station and Downtown Brooklyn or lower Manhattan can benefit from Atlantic Ticket. For complete details about Atlantic Ticket, click here.
A One-Way Atlantic Ticket is $5.00 (Same day use only). A joint weekly ticket (including Unlimited Ride MetroCard®) is $60.00. For more information about LIRR weekly tickets, click here.
Atlantic Ticket (One-Way) is available from Ticket Machines at all eligible stations, and weekly tickets are available from Full Service Ticket Machines at eligible stations except Hollis and St. Albans (which do not have Full Service Ticket Machines). Atlantic Ticket is also available from ticket windows at Jamaica and Atlantic Terminal. (Atlantic Ticket is NOT sold at MetroCard Vending Machines, through the MTA eTix® app or onboard trains. Atlantic Ticket is NOT valid for travel on trains to/from Penn Station, Woodside, Kew Gardens, Forest Hills, Hunterspoint Avenue, Long Island City or Mets-Willets Point. Train crews are not permitted to accept Atlantic Tickets on trains to/from these stations, and will charge the appropriate onboard fare for the zones of travel.)
Good for one ride in either direction, and sold for peak or off-peak travel. Off-peak fares are approximately 27.25% less than peak fares. Off-peak fares are available for travel between Zones 1 or 3 and all other zones; peak fares are specially priced for local (Zone 4-14) travel so the off-peak fare is the same. Valid for 60 days (including date of sale).
Good for single ride in either direction on Off-Peak trains. Save 27% off the regular One-Way Peak fare. Valid for 60 days (including date of sale).
Good for two rides. Sold for Peak or Off-Peak travel. Priced at the combination of One-Way fares selected (Peak/Peak, Off-Peak/Off-Peak, Peak/Off-Peak, Peak/Senior, etc.). Valid for 60 days (including date of sale).
Reduced-Fare Tickets for Senior Citizens/Medicare Recipients/People with Disabilities
Save up to 50% off the full One-Way Peak fare. Sold as an option under “One-Way” or “Round-Trip” ticket machine buttons. Valid all times except weekday morning Peak (westbound) trains. Customers must have proper documentation available to present at time of ticket purchase and use. Forms of acceptable documentation follow:
- Senior citizens (65 years of age or older): Government/state-issued driver’s license or non-driver ID; Government/state-issued passport; NYC Department of Aging ID Card; MTA Reduced-Fare MetroCard; MTA Reduced-Fare Easy Pay Card; and, if accompanied by another form of identification that contains a photo of the customer, a Medicare Card issued by the Social Security Administration or a birth certificate.
- Medicare Recipients (under age 65): MTA Reduced-Fare MetroCard; MTA Reduced-Fare Easy Pay Card; Medicare Card issued by the Social Security Administration (if accompanied by another form of identification that contains a photo of the customer).
- People with Disabilities: MTA Reduced-Fare MetroCard; MTA Reduced-Fare Easy Pay Card; Access-a-Ride Card; Able-Ride Card; Para-transit Card; Suffolk County Accessible Transportation (SCAT) Card. Customers who qualify to use Reduced-Fare tickets can purchase them on the train without paying the higher on-board price, if they can show the proper documentation. Applications for the MTA Reduced-Fare MetroCard are processed by NYC Transit (call 511 or visit mta.info/nyct). Valid for 60 days (including date of sale).
Family Fare (Off-Peak & PM Peak Travel Only)
Up to four children (ages 5-11) ride for $1.00 each when accompanied by a fare-paying adult (18 years or older). The fifth child and all other children pay Child Fare. Family Fare tickets presented on morning Peak trains are subject to a substantial price adjustment. Valid for 60 days (including date of sale).
All Active Duty military personnel (with an authorized Active Duty Identification Card) will be charged an Off-Peak fare at all times.
If you currently use the LIRR to travel to Atlantic Terminal from an eligible Atlantic Ticket station, switch to Atlantic Ticket and save money. A One-Way ticket is $5.00. (Same day use only.)
For complete details about Atlantic Ticket, click here.
Pay $4.25 for travel within New York City on Saturdays/Sundays. Valid on day of purchase only; cannot be combined with other tickets. Ticket is sold at Ticket Windows or Ticket Machines located in Manhattan, Brooklyn or Queens. Not valid for travel to/from Far Rockaway and Belmont Park. Not sold on-board trains.
For complete details about CityTicket, click here.
Spend less time waiting on line by purchasing multiple-ride tickets in advance of your trip. Certain multiple-ride tickets are non-transferable: these tickets are for the exclusive use of the person who first presents them. Please be aware that commutation tickets – weekly as well as monthly – may not be laminated or otherwise permanently encased.
Unlimited rides for a calendar week (Saturday through Friday); save approximately 30% (based on 10 One-Way rides per week). Most cost-effective for commuters traveling for a continuous 4-7 day period. Weekly tickets are non-transferable; the first person to use this ticket is the only person who can use it. Available for purchase at Ticket Offices and Ticket Machines starting on Wednesday for the following week.
Unlimited rides during the calendar month indicated on the ticket; save approximately 50% off the One-Way Peak fare (based on 42 rides per month). Most cost-effective ticket for daily commutation. Monthly tickets are non-transferable; the first person to use this ticket is the only person who can use it. Available for purchase at Ticket Offices and Ticket Machines starting the 20th of the prior month.
If you currently use the LIRR to travel to Atlantic Terminal from an eligible Atlantic Ticket station, switch to Atlantic Ticket and save money. A joint weekly ticket (including Unlimited Ride MetroCard®) is $60.00.
For complete details about Atlantic Ticket, click here.
Ten-Trip ticket types are available:
- Ten-Trip Peak: Sold at the price of 10 Peak
- Ten-Trip Off-Peak: Save 15% off the price of 10 Off-Peak One-Way tickets.
- Seniors/Medicare/People with Disabilities Ten-Trip: Sold at the price of 10 Senior/ Medicare/People with Disabilities One-Way fares.
Monthly School Tickets
Special Fares are available for students under 21 years of age attending accredited elementary or secondary schools. Discount of up to one-third off the price of a regular Monthly ticket. Complete Application and bring to a ticket office. Applications must be signed by a school official and have the school seal affixed. Non-transferable.
UniTickets (combination bus/rail tickets) offer special discounts for monthly and weekly travel from certain suburban LIRR stations on local bus routes. UniTickets are valid on certain MTA Bus and NYC Transit buses in Queens, NICE Bus routes in Nassau County and Long Beach Bus routes. The following discounted bus options are available with the purchase of LIRR Monthly or Weekly tickets:
|NICE - All Buses||$52.25||$12.75|
|Long Beach - All Buses||$30||N/A|
|NYCT - Q5, Q12, Q13, Q15, Q16, Q17, Q20, Q26, Q27, Q28, Q31, Q44, Q48, Q85, (at Rosedale, Bayside & Flushing LIRR Stations only)||$42.75||$11.25|
|MTA Bus - Q19, Q25, Q34, Q50, Q65 and Q66 (at Flushing LIRR Station only.)||$42.75||$11.25|
Special discounted one-day, round-trip group tickets may be purchased for organized groups of 30 or more. Smaller groups of 10 or more may still be able to save. Group leaders should call 718-558-7419 Monday - Friday, 8 AM - 4 PM for reservations at least two weeks in advance. Group tickets are sold through this department in advance, and at open ticket offices (please avoid morning rush hours).
Deals & Getaways
Special deals are developed by the LIRR in conjunction with major attractions, venues or special events to offer discounts to LIRR customers. Offers vary throughout the year.
- New York City Getaways are available throughout the year.
- Long Island Getaways to Long Island are typically more seasonal (May - November) but some are available year-round; some are escorted and available on certain dates/trains only.
- Beach Packages are available during Summer months and include: Long Beach, Jones Beach, Robert Moses and various Fire Island locations (one day use only).
- Belmont Package and service is available during the Spring/Fall Meets and for the Belmont Stakes.
- Free Rail or discount offers (Broadway Shows, Radio City Christmas Spectacular, etc.) typically require use of a code and have special restrictions; these tickets/discounts are usually available at the venue, and TicketMaster or Telecharge, and are not sold by the LIRR.
Most tickets are available for sale at LIRR Ticket Offices and gray, blue or green "Tickets" Machines (listed under "Deals & Getaways" button on the right, on the first screen). Since each sale may contain more than one ticket stub, please wait for all tickets to be printed. Stubs are labeled for rail or admission use.
MetroCard is a fare medium used for MTA NYC Transit subways and buses, and acceptable on NICE Bus. Some ticket options may be purchased with aMetroCard on the reverse side.
- LIRR offers both the $5.50 round-trip (2 rides) separately or on round-trip ticket types. If bought separately, a $1 fee will apply ($6.50 total cost).
- Round-trip tickets may be purchased with a $5.50 MetroCard on the reverse side.
- Monthly tickets automatically come with a MetroCard on the reverse side. You can choose to add a pre-valued amount to the card at the time you purchase it.
- All ticket machines and ticket offices offer a separate $25 MetroCard ($26.25 value). A $1 fee will apply ($26 total cost). This fee does not apply to the LIRR Monthly with $50 MetroCard and LIRR Round Trip with $5.50 MetroCard. All MetroCards can be refilled for further use at any NYC Transit MetroCard Vending Machine (MVM) or subway booth. A new MetroCard will be issued at no charge if your card is expiring or damaged. This must be handled at a NYC Transit subway booth or through NYC Transit’s MetroCard Customer Claims. For more details, visit www.mta.info/nyct.
- Green ticket machines have the AirTrain logo and offer AirTrain MetroCards.
A $1.00 fee will be charged for each new MetroCard purchased at a commuter rail station, MVM or subway booth. You can avoid this fee by keeping and refilling your current MetroCard at any MVM or subway booth. The new $1.00 charge will NOT apply to customers who purchase a combination railroad/MetroCard ticket.
Validity of Tickets & Refunds Chart:
|Ticket Type||Valid for||Refundable for|
|One Way/Round Trip||60 days including date of sale||Validity period plus two years after expiration|
|Monthly||Calendar Month||Current Month (based on turn-in date)|
|Weekly||Saturday to Friday||Current Week (based on turn-in date)|
|Ten-Trip||6 months including date of sale||Validity period plus two years after expiration|
|CityTicket||Valid on the same date of purchase
and on Saturdays/Sundays only
|Validity period plus two years after expiration|
|Deals & Getaways||Event date(s) or 60 days including date of sale||60 days (complete package purchase only)|
|Hamptons Reserve||Date of travel on ticket only||60 days*|
*Hamptons Reserve cancellations MUST be made in advance. All cancellations must be made by NOON of the Thursday prior to your departure date. If cancellation is not made in advance, no refund will be given. Once you cancel, mail in your tickets to: Hamptons Reserve Office at 93-59 183rd Street, Hollis, NY 11423, mail code 3158A. Include your name and address and ALL tickets being returned.
Must Return Original Tickets
The actual original unused or partially used ticket (not a photocopy) must be submitted. Lost, stolen or damaged tickets are not refundable.
All refund requests are handled through our Ticket Refund office, but tickets may be turned in at staffed ticket offices, where customer will be asked to fill out a form. Refunds for tickets submitted by mail will be calculated using the postmark as the turn-in date, and customers will be charged for the date of the postmark. Only postmarks affixed by the United States Postal Service (USPS) will be used to determine the turn-in date.
Refund checks will be mailed to customers within 30 days after the Ticket Refund Department receives the request. For credit card sales, refunds will be issued as credits to customer credit card accounts when possible. For customers using a pre-tax benefit card, please see the Commuter Benefits Program section above for an important advisory.
Monthly and Weekly Ticket Refunds
If commutation tickets are submitted for refund, the discount is forfeited, and we must deduct the proper combination of one-way and/or weekly fares for the period the ticket has been in the customer's possession. Monthly and weekly tickets that are not being used should be turned in immediately; the refund will be calculated identically for punched and unpunched tickets. Monthly and weekly tickets turned in for refund by 9:30 AM at the customer's home station ticket office will not be charged for the turn-in day.
Refund Example: Customer turns in a monthly ticket valid from Penn Station to Babylon, at Babylon Station ticket office before 9:30 AM on Tuesday the 8th (in a month that started with a Tuesday).
The cheapest tickets that could have been used total $190.00:
Weekly ticket for Tuesday-Friday, Days 1-4 ($112.00)
Off-Peak, Round-Trip for Saturday-Sunday, Days 5 & 6 ($46.00)
Peak Round-Trip for Monday, Day 7 ($32.00)
Original price $350 - $190.00 = $160.00 - $10 processing fee = $150.00 refund
MetroCard portions of combined monthly MetroCard and train tickets are refunded subject to a forfeit of discount, and prorating. Refunds of Monthly Unlimited MetroCard are also subject to a $10 processing fee in addition to forfeit of discount and prorating.
Refunds will be made by check or credited back to the debit or credit card used to purchase the ticket.
Ten-Trip Ticket Refunds
Unused or partially-used Ten-Trip tickets (valid for six months from date of sale) can be refunded within the validity period plus two years after expiration. Since off-peak ten-trip tickets are sold at a discount, refunds will be calculated by deducting the cost of off-peak one-way tickets for each ride used.
Deals & Getaways Refunds
Due to the heavy discounts provided, refunds will only be provided if all ticket stubs are submitted. Refunds are reviewed by the LIRR Sales & Promotions office. Please include a daytime phone number and explanation with your ticket submittal. Refunds are available for up to 60 days and the $10 service fee per transaction is charged.
Mail Ticket Refund Form with original tickets to:
LIRR Ticket Refunds Department
P.O. Box 350383
Jamaica, NY 11435
Hours: Monday - Friday, 8 AM - 4 PM
Phone: 511 and say "LIRR", then say "Ticket Refunds".
The LIRR is not responsible for forgotten tickets. If you forget your ticket, you should purchase a round-trip ticket at your station or you will have to pay the higher on-board fare price. Fares paid in lieu of forgotten, destroyed or damaged tickets are not refundable. Should any questions arise as to proper fare and ticket privileges, please pay fare requested, obtain receipt and communicate with us.
- Google Translate