Train Travel is Easy, Affordable and Fun!
MTA Long Island Rail Road is the best way to get to the excitement in New York City and on Long Island. The LIRR offers a host of ideas for families to save money and have fun too.
There are many interesting and fun things for Senior Citizens to do in New York City and on Long Island. MTA Long Island Rail Road can take you to them and save you money as well.
The LIRR is the fast, convenient and relaxing way to travel and special fares are available for senior citizens 65 years or older, Medicare recipients, and people with disabilities. Cost is about one-half of the Peak One-Way fare. These special fares are good at all times EXCEPT AM Peak trains (trains scheduled to arrive at western terminals between 6:00 AM and 10:00 AM on weekday mornings). Good all other times.
Valid forms of ID are as follows:
- Senior citizens (65 years of age or older): Government/state-issued driver’s license or non-driver ID; Government/state-issued passport; NYC Department of Aging ID Card; MTA Reduced-Fare MetroCard; MTA Reduced-Fare Easy Pay Card; and, if accompanied by another form of identification that contains a photo of the customer, a Medicare Card issued by the Social Security Administration or a birth certificate.
- Medicare Recipients (under age 65): MTA Reduced-Fare MetroCard; MTA Reduced-Fare Easy Pay Card; Medicare Card issued by the Social Security Administration (if accompanied by another form of identification that contains a photo of the customer).
- People with Disabilities: MTA Reduced-Fare MetroCard; MTA Reduced-Fare Easy Pay Card; Access-a-Ride Card; Able-Ride Card; Para-transit Card; Suffolk County Accessible Transportation (SCAT) Card. Customers who qualify to use Reduced-Fare tickets can purchase them on the train without paying the higher on-board price, if they can show the proper documentation. Applications for the MTA Reduced-Fare MetroCard are processed by NYC Transit (call 511 or visit mta.info/nyct).
For schedule information, click here, download the LIRR TrainTime App, or contact the LIRR’s Customer Service Center by calling 511 or 718-217-LIRR (718-217-5477). Automated schedule information is available 24/7. Agents are available to assist customers daily from 6 AM until 10 PM. To speak with an LIRR employee, say the word “Representative” when the prompts begin.
To save money, buy LIRR tickets before boarding the train. Purchasing tickets onboard the train is the most expensive option, costing up to $6.50 more per ticket. The LIRR makes buying tickets easy. Tickets are sold at Ticket Machines, staffed Ticket Windows (where available) and through the MTA eTix® mobile app.
Ticket offices sell all ticket types and offer certain values of MetroCard when purchased with LIRR tickets. Ticket Offices accept cash, checks, ATM/debit and major credit cards. Ticket office hours are posted at stations or on the web.
The LIRR has a variety of ticket machines, including:
- Gray, full-service ticket machines, which sell most ticket types and pre-valued MetroCards, accept cash, ATM/debit cards and credit cards.
- Blue ticket machines also sell most ticket types and pre-valued MetroCards, but accept ATM/debit or credit cards only.
- Red, daily ticket machines sell One-Way and Round-Trip tickets as well as some types of pre-valued Metrocards. These machines accept cash, ATM/debit or credit cards.
MTA eTix is a mobile ticketing app that lets customers purchase and use LIRR tickets directly on smartphones and mobile devices. For more information visit: mta.info/eTix.
Ticket Types Designed to Help You Save
If you are 65 years or older, the LIRR offers several ticket type options to consider. Reduced-Fare tickets are available for One-Way or Round-Trip travel and are good for 60 days (including date of sale). To save time, instead of buying tickets for each trip, why not try our Reduced-Fare Ten-Trip ticket? This convenience ticket to/fromFare Zone 1 (includes stations like Penn Station, Atlantic Terminal, Woodside) is sold at the price of 10 Reduced-Fare One-Way fares. This ticket can be shared by more than one person (even by companions traveling together on the same train) and is valid for six months from date of sale. Valid ID is required.
If you or your companions are under 65 years of age, the following ticket types would be most advantageous if you are traveling with friends or family members:
Good on Off-Peak trains to/from Fare Zone 1 only. Discounted by up to 15% off the price of 10 regular Off-Peak tickets. People traveling together can share this ticket. Ticket is valid for six months from date of sale.
Up to four children (ages 5-11) ride for the fare of $1.00 each when accompanied by a fare-paying adult (18 years or older). Children under 5 ride free. Valid for 60 days (including date of sale).
The above tickets are good for travel on all LIRR trains EXCEPT AM Peak trains (trains scheduled to arrive at western terminals between 6:00 AM and 10:00 AM on weekday mornings). Good all other times.
Travel Planning Made Easy
Just about everything you need to plan a trip is available on our website. You can get Schedules & Fares information as well as station locations and attributes. You can also find out information about our getaways and special discount offers.
Station and Branch Timetables
LIRR Branch Timetables can be found in timetable racks at stations and terminals, or online here. You can also get Schedules & Fares information online or by phone at 511 or 718-217-5477 (see Travel Information below for more details).
New York City Getaways
The best city in the world is just a train ride away. The LIRR offers discount packages to many New York City attractions, such as Madame Tussauds New York and the American Museum of Natural History, that include Round-Trip fares and admissions for one low price.
Long Island One-Day Getaways
Discover some of the most beautiful and interesting spots on Long Island with an enjoyable One-Day Escorted Tour or Package. Our One-Day Getaways are offered from May through November and include discounted Round-Trip rail fare, sightseeing and admission to attractions. Some Getaways even include tastings or meals.
Restrooms are usually available in open station waiting rooms; hours of availability are posted. On trains, cars with odd numbers are restroom-equipped. Restrooms on our newer trains are accessible for people with disabilities.
You can also get details on all of the information above by calling our Customer Service Center. We have a voice-activated system that's easy to use by calling 511 or 718-217-LIRR (718-217-5477). Automated schedule and fare information is available by phone 24/7. If necessary, representatives are available to help you daily between 6 AM and 10 PM. To speak with an LIRR employee, just say the word “Representative” after the prompts begin. Deaf/Hard of Hearing Customers – Use your preferred relay service provider or the free 711 relay to reach 511.
Last Updated 2/11/19
- Google Translate