July 4th Weekend Service
Declare your independence from traffic and tolls this July 4th to celebrate our nation’s birthday. On Friday, July 1, the LIRR will provide ten additional eastbound trains departing Penn Station between 1:49 PM and 3:48 PM on the Babylon, Far Rockaway, Port Jefferson, Port Washington and Ronkonkoma branches.
On Saturday July 2 & Sunday July 3, a regular weekend schedule will be in effect.
On Monday, July 4, the LIRR will run on a Sunday schedule
Montauk Branch Independence Day Weekend Travel Tips
Summer Fridays on the Montauk Branch mean very busy trains as thousands of extra customers use the LIRR to get away to the East End. On Friday, July 1st, we will have our normal Summer Friday extra trains running to the Hamptons & Montauk – including the famous Cannonball with “Hamptons Reserve” service. But space will be at a premium, so we strongly encourage customers to avoid the Friday crunch by leaving on Thursday, June 30th, if possible. To assist, we will be running extra service beyond our normal Thursday offerings, on Thursday, June 30th, including:
- 4:06 PM train from Penn Station to Montauk, first stop Westhampton.
- 4:30 PM train from Hunterspoint Ave. to Montauk, stopping Jamaica, Bay Shore, Sayville,
then all stops to Montauk. Connection departs Penn Station 4:19 PM, change at Jamaica.
- 5:09 PM train from Penn Station to Montauk, stopping Jamaica, then Babylon, then all stops to Montauk. (This train normally operates to Speonk Monday-Thursday, and is extended to Montauk on Fridays. For the holiday weekend, it will be extended on Thursday as well.)
- 6:17 PM train from Jamaica to Montauk, stopping at Bay Shore, then all stops to Montauk (except Bellport). Connection departs Penn Station 5:51 PM, transfer at
- 8:53 PM train from Jamaica to Montauk, stopping at Babylon, then all stops to Montauk (except Bellport). Connection departs Penn Station 8:30 PM, transfer at Jamaica.
New Fire Island Ferry Connections
For those who must travel on Friday, we’ll provide new Friday service, from July 1 through September 2, to help relieve crowding.
- If you’re traveling to Bay Shore, Sayville or Patchogue on Fridays, take the 7:39 AM train from Penn Station, and transfer at Jamaica for an 8:04 AM departure to Babylon, Bay Shore, Sayville and Patchogue. This provides relief for the 7:49 AM train from Penn, and the 8:52 AM Babylon-Montauk train.
- Instead of taking the 11:05 AM train from Penn Station, those traveling to Bay Shore,
Sayville or Patchogue on Fridays can now take the 10:59 AM train from Penn to Babylon,
then transfer to the new 12:02 PM train from Babylon to Bay Shore, Sayville and
Customers for Bay Shore, Sayville and Patchogue are strongly encouraged to use these two
“relief” trains instead of the popular Montauk through trains. Leaving just a few minutes
earlier will provide you with a more pleasant start to your weekend!
Are You Up to The Challenge?
The Metropolitan Transportation Authority Police Department (“MTAPD”) is seeking highly motivated, qualified individuals for the position of Police Officer. MTA Police Officers are responsible for ensuring the safety of MTA customers and employees and for protecting property throughout the MTA’s New York and Connecticut operating regions on the LIRR, Metro-North Railroad and the Staten Island Railway. Candidates must apply online to be considered for the MTA Police Officer written examination. Visit mta.info/mta/ employment/ for instructions on filing an online application. Online applications may be submitted from Friday, July 1, 2016 through Monday, August 15, 2016. The MTA is an equal opportunity employer.
Hurricane season (June 1 through November 30) brings high winds, heavy rains, and dangerous lightning which can result in flooding, mudslides, fallen trees, and downed power lines along our right-of-way. We can’t stop the weather’s worst from happening, but we have several operating plans at the ready, depending on the weather’s impact. As with “Superstorm Sandy,” we will prepare before, during and after a hurricane. That may include shutting down the railroad before a storm’s arrival. If conditions are severe enough, our only option may be to reduce or suspend train service temporarily. When the storm is over, we know you want us to return to regular service immediately, and we will do our best to recover quickly. But keep in mind that sometimes getting back to normal takes time. We may need to repair our tracks, signal and power systems, or trains due to storm damage. We may also need to reposition employees and equipment before restoring service. To help you prepare for hurricane season we recommend:
- Sign up for email/text alerts at www.mymtaalerts.com
- Check www.mta.info/lirr for updates. If severe weather requires us to alter service, we will post the information on our web site. (Also be sure to keep a current timetable handy. It will give you a frame of reference for train departure times if you don’t have power to your computer.)
- Get the LIRR Train Time app for realtime train status and schedule info.
- Listen to radio and television news reports. Call our Customer Information Center at 511 or 718-217-5477.
Huntington/Port Jeff Service
Reduced on Three Weekends
Rail replacement work in the Huntington vicinity will affect Saturday/Sunday train service on the Port Jefferson Branch next month. On the weekends of July 9-10, July 16-17 and July 23-24, one track will be taken out of service between Syosset and Huntington for 48 hours. As a result, train service between Hicksville and Huntington will be reduced from half hourly to hourly. In addition, train service between Huntington and Port Jefferson will be reduced from every 90 minutes to every two hours. Please allow additional travel time on those weekends.
When your train arrives and the doors open, please stand aside for a moment and allow others to exit the train before you board, especially at busy transfer points like Jamaica. It’s not only the polite thing to do, but you’ll be helping to prevent slip, trip and fall accidents that have been known to occur at boarding time.
Overall on-time performance for May 2016 was 94.7%.
- Google Translate