Additional LIRR Service for Pope Francis' Visit to NY Be Prepared for Street Closures & Entrance/Exit Closures at Penn
The LIRR plans to operate enhanced train service to/from Penn Station during Pope Francis’ visit to New York on Friday, September 25. However, certain entrances and stairways at Penn Station will be closed for security reasons. The LIRR’s 34th Street Entrance and the Amtrak Entrance at 32nd Street and Seventh Avenue under the Madison Square Garden marquee are expected to remain open. Customers should expect heavier than normal volume at these access points. MTA Police and additional LIRR staff will be available in Penn Station to assist customers. To avoid crowding in Penn, consider traveling to/from Atlantic Terminal in Brooklyn instead.
The LIRR will operate eight extra westbound trains to Penn Station on Friday, including three leaving Babylon at 12:20 PM, 12:43 PM and 1:20 PM; two from Huntington at 12:19 PM and 1:19 PM; one from Hicksville at 1:07 PM; and two departing Ronkonkoma at 12:40 PM and 1:40 PM. Customers taking the LIRR to papal events should buy round-trip train tickets and MetroCards in advance. Extra eastbound trains will be on standby at Penn Station to carry travelers back to Long Island at the conclusion of the Papal Mass at MSG.
Prior to the Pope’s visit, travelers are encouraged to check news and traffic reports, and sign up for text/email alerts about changing transit conditions. You can sign up for LIRR alerts at www.mymtaalerts.com.
At the beginning of October, the LIRR will make several changes to little-used ticketing options and outdated exceptions to its fare policy.
These changes are:
- WebTicket will no longer be available beginning Thursday, October 1. WebTicket purchases represent only 0.1% of ticket sales. Monthly ticket buyers are encouraged to sign up for Mail&Ride, the LIRR’s convenient ticket-by-mail subscription service. Other customers are advised to allow time to buy tickets at LIRR ticket machines and staffed ticket windows.
- Monthly Tickets – Validity will now start at 12 AM on the first day of the month, rather than at 8 PM on the last day of the prior month
- Weekly Tickets – Validity will start at 12 AM on Saturday, rather than 8 PM on Friday
- One-Way Tickets – Valid for 60 days from date of purchase – will now expire at 11:59 PM on the 60th day. Previously, they expired at 4 AM on the 61st day
- Stop-Overs are no longer permitted with One-Way or Round-Trip tickets starting October 1, 2015. This seldom-used option allowed customers who purchased One-Way or Round-Trip tickets to exit the train at an interim stop, and re-board later in the day using a single ticket. Going forward, customers must purchase separate tickets for each leg of their trip. To save money, buy before boarding at a ticket machine or staffed LIRR Ticket Window, since tickets bought onboard the train cost up to $6.50 more than the station price. Monthly and Weekly ticketholders are not affected by this change.
October 18: Buses Replace Sunday Ronkonkoma Trains
On Sunday, October 18, buses will replace trains between Ronkonkoma and Central Islip for 24 hours. Westbound buses will depart Ronkonkoma 23 minutes earlier than usual train times. Look for special schedules dated October 18.
October 24-25: Port Jefferson & Ronkonkoma Branches Affected By Bridge Installation
Installation of a new Ellison Avenue Bridge in Westbury will take place on the weekend of October 24-25. Bridge installation necessitates busing between Hicksville & Mineola. To avoid delays, consider traveling on south shore branches that weekend. See special timetables dated October 24-25, which will be available in October, or check www.mta.info/lirr before traveling that weekend.
Extra Trains for Yom Kippur
On Tuesday, September 22, the LIRR will provide ten extra early afternoon trains from Penn Station for customers observing Yom Kippur. The additional eastbound trains will depart from Penn Station between 1:46 PM and 3:48 PM, providing supplemental service to Babylon, Far Rockaway, Great Neck, Hicksville, Huntington and Ronkonkoma. See current branch timetables for specific departure times.
Ride the LIRR for Free and Save Up to 30% on “THE ILLUSIONISTS”
NOVEMBER 19–JANUARY 3
Broadway's holiday smash hit, “THE ILLUSIONISTS” is returning to New York City. THE ILLUSIONISTS – LIVE ON BROADWAY will feature a cast of magical superheroes, including three new performers with thrilling stunts and jaw-dropping sleight of hand. But hurry, the show sold out quickly the last time it was in town– get your tickets before they vanish! The Illusionists returns for a strictly limited engagement at the Neil Simon Theater, November 19 through January 3. Use the code LIRR when purchasing tickets at Ticketmaster.com. For more information, visit www.mta.info/lirr/getaways/illusionists.
Overall on-time-performance for August was 91.49%.
- Google Translate