Everyone Loves A Parade and The LIRR Is The Best Way There
If you plan to be “wearing the green” on March 17, the LIRR is the best and safest way to go and celebrate…We will provide extra service for the annual St. Patrick’s Day Parades in New York City on Tuesday, March 17 and in Montauk on Sunday, March 22. For the “Grand Daddy” of all St. Patrick’s Day Parades in NYC, the LIRR will provide six additional westbound trains on the Babylon (3), Port Jefferson (2) and Ronkonkoma (1) Branches. There will be ten additional eastbound trains from Penn Station for those heading home from the Parade on the Babylon (4), Far Rockaway (1), Port Jefferson (3), Port Washington (1) and Ronkonkoma (1) Branches. Another popular St. Patrick’s Day Parade will take place in Montauk on Sunday, March 22, and the LIRR will provide additional service for those traveling to/from the festivities.
Two eastbound trains to Montauk will depart Jamaica at 7:10 AM and 8:10 AM and one will depart Babylon at 8:56 AM, arriving in Montauk at 9:51 AM, 10:49 AM and 11:07 AM, respectively. An extra westbound train will depart Montauk at 1:31 PM after the parade, in addition to three regularly scheduled trains at 3:30 PM, 5:35 PM and 7:33 PM. In order to maintain orderly travel for our customers on March 17, alcoholic beverages will not be allowed on trains, platforms and at stations all day March 17 through 4 AM, Wednesday, March 18. On March 22, NO BEVERAGES of any kind will be permitted on Montauk Branch trains, or on platforms at stations from Babylon through Montauk. MTA Police will enforce these restrictions.
Reminder: New Fares Take Effect March 22
New LIRR fares take effect on Sunday, March 22, 2015. On average, most commuter rail tickets will increase 4.25% or less, depending on ticket type and distance traveled. This will affect:
- Monthly tickets for April 2015, available for purchase starting March 20.
- Weekly tickets for March 28 - April 3, available for purchase starting March 25.
- CityTicket fare for One-Way weekend travel within NYC increases to $4.25 starting March 22.
- WebTicket will be temporarily unavailable from Wednesday, March 11 through Sunday, March 29 as we adjust to the new fares. Customers are advised to purchase tickets at LIRR Ticket Windows or Ticket Machines in the interim.
- Stop-Overs. This seldom-used option allows customers who purchased One-Way or Round-Trip tickets to exit the train at an interim stop, and re-board later in the day using a single ticket. While the LIRR initially planned to no longer permit stop-overs with the implementation of the March 22 fare changes, the LIRR has decided to further review the elimination of stop-overs. The LIRR may make a change to this practice in the future.
- MTA NYC Transit subways and bus fares will increase on Sunday, March 22. MetroCards will not be available at LIRR Ticket Windows and Ticket Machines from March 16 to March 21 as we transition to the new $5.50 and $25 MetroCards.
Spring Ahead for Savings on Two NYC Getaways
Take the LIRR to these two great New York City events and save. The New York Spring Spectacular starring the Rockettes presented by Chase is a dazzling musical celebration of the most vibrant city in the world! This all-new show at Radio City Music Hall, starring Tony winner Laura Benanti and Emmy-winner Derek Hough, is a whirlwind adventure story about three New Yorkers who change each other’s lives in unexpectedly wonderful ways. The LIRR discount package saves you $10 on show tickets to select performances when you use code LIRR at the time of purchase. Also includes a free Round-Trip train ticket. The 2015 New York International Auto Show will be revving up at the Javits Center (Eleventh Ave between 34-39th Streets) from April 3-12. Auto enthusiasts can expect more sneak peeks and more concept vehicles than ever before. The LIRR discount package includes up to 30% savings with admission to the show and an Off-Peak Round-Trip rail ticket. LIRR monthly ticket holders get a $3 discount at the box office when presenting a valid monthly ticket prior to purchase. For more travel information on these two NYC attractions consult the LIRR website.
Port Jeff Weekend Track Work March 21-22 Affects Some Trains
Some Port Jefferson Branch trains will operate on adjusted schedules while others will be cancelled during the weekend of March 21-22 due to a concrete tie replacement program taking place between Hicksville and Syosset. Affected customers should obtain a copy of the special March 21-22 Port Jefferson Weekend Timetable or consult the LIRR website before travelling.
Montauk Branch Weekend Track Work March 28-29, April & May
Buses will replace trains on a portion of the Montauk Branch on five weekends in March, April and May, starting Saturday and Sunday March 28-29 while the LIRR installs concrete ties between Sayville and Patchogue and performs switch resurfacing work in Babylon and Patchogue. Beginning at 1 AM on Saturdays through 1 AM Mondays, eastbound customers will board buses at Babylon for stations Bay Shore through Speonk. Customers traveling to stations Speonk to Montauk will board buses at Babylon, then transfer back to trains at Speonk for service to points east. Please plan for up to 50 minutes of additional travel time. Westbound customers will board buses at stations Speonk through Bay Shore and transfer to connecting train service at Babylon. Buses will depart up to 42 minutes later than normal train times. Westbound customers boarding at stations Montauk through Westhampton will board trains initially, then transfer to express buses at Speonk for service to Babylon, where train service will resume. Please anticipate up to 84 minutes of additional travel time. This track work program will also be in effect on the weekends of April 11-12, April 18-19, April 25-26 and May 2-3. For further information please see special schedules.
Grade Crossing Safety
Motorists and pedestrians are urged to obey the law and exercise extreme caution at grade crossings. Here are some important reminders:
- For motorists: Don’t attempt to cross the tracks unless there is room for your vehicle to proceed on the other side
- Stop when you see the lights flashing and gates lowering
- Wait for the gates to raise completely and the lights to stop flashing before proceeding across the tracks
- Never walk under or drive around lowered gates. Another train may be approaching.
The LIRR is a long-time participant in Operation Lifesaver, a national organization dedicated to raising awareness about grade crossing safety. Their nationwide safety campaign urges: “See Tracks? Think Train!”
Overall on-time performance for February was 86.82%.
- Google Translate