MTA Long Island Rail Road service will be modified starting Monday, January 8, as Amtrak, which owns and operates Penn Station, will be taking tracks out of service to perform the next phase of the critical repair work that commenced this summer. The resulting reduction in Penn Station capacity will impact trains between Monday, January 8 and Friday, May 25. Five morning rush-hour trains to Penn Station and three evening rush-hour trains from Penn Station will be diverted. In addition, two evening rush-hour trains will be combined with subsequent trains scheduled to depart within six to 11 minutes of the canceled train; the combined train will make stops at all affected stations. To reduce the impact of these changes, the LIRR is adding two morning trains and three afternoon/evening trains, and is adding cars to five trains to increase seating capacity. Please note that other rush-hour trains will have minor schedule alterations and/or changes to their stopping patterns.
Major service changes are listed below. Branch timetables dated Monday, January 8, will have full details.
- An extra AM Peak train will depart Freeport at 5:43 AM, stopping at Baldwin and Rockville Centre, Jamaica, and arriving at Penn Station at 6:24 AM.
- The 6:56 AM express train from Wantagh, due at Penn Station at 7:43 AM, will be rerouted to Atlantic Terminal (arriving at 7:45 AM), with an added stop at Jamaica for connecting service.
- The 7:35 AM train from Babylon, making all stops to Seaford, then Jamaica and Penn Station, will be lengthened to 12 cars from the usual 10, adding more than 200 extra seats.
- The 7:44 AM train from Merrick, which currently stops at Freeport and Baldwin before running express to Penn Station, will depart 3 minutes earlier at 7:41 AM and will add a stop at Jamaica to allow customers to change for connecting service to Penn Station, then will continue to Hunterspoint Avenue, where it will arrive at 8:25 a.m.
- The 8:25 AM from Freeport, stopping at Baldwin, Rockville Centre, Jamaica and Penn Station, will be rerouted to Atlantic Terminal (arriving 9:07 AM).
- The 4:34 PM express from Penn Station to Seaford, then local to Babylon, will be lengthened to 12 cars from 10, over 200 extra seats.
- An extra PM Peak train will depart Hunterspoint Avenue at 7:02 PM, stopping at Jamaica, Rockville Centre, Baldwin and Freeport (arriving at 7:42 PM).
Far Rockaway Branch
- The 8:10 AM train from Far Rockaway, currently making local stops to Valley Stream, then Jamaica, Kew Gardens, Forest Hills and Penn Station, will be rerouted to Hunterspoint Avenue (arriving at 9:04 AM). Connecting service is available at Jamaica.
- The 5:32 PM train from Penn Station, due at Far Rockaway at 6:24 PM, will instead originate at Jamaica at 5:52 PM. Customers at Penn Station can take the 5:23 PM train to Long Beach or the 5:24 PM train to Freeport and change at Jamaica for connecting service.
- The 5:38 PM train from Penn Station, due at Hempstead at 6:36 PM, will instead originate from Atlantic Terminal at 5:46 PM. Customers at Penn Station can take the 5:33 PM train to Hicksville and change at Jamaica for connecting service.
- The 7:05 PM train from Penn Station, due at Hempstead at 7:56 PM, will instead originate from Atlantic Terminal at 7:09 PM. Customers at Penn Station can take the 7:08 PM train to Babylon and change at Jamaica for connecting service.
Long Beach Branch
- The 8:03 AM train from Long Beach to Penn Station will be rerouted to East New York, Nostrand Avenue and Atlantic Terminal (arriving at 8:54 AM), with an added stop at Jamaica for connecting service.
- The 8:08 AM train from Long Beach, making all local stops to Valley Stream, then Jamaica, Woodside and Penn Station, will be lengthened to 12 cars from the usual 10, adding more than 200 extra seats.
Port Jefferson Branch
- The 5:06 PM express from Penn Station, stopping at Syosset, Cold Spring Harbor and Huntington, will be combined with the 5:17 PM train from Penn Station, which runs express to Westbury, then stops at Hicksville, Syosset, Cold Spring Harbor and Huntington.
Port Washington Branch
- An extra train will depart Penn Station at 3:40 PM, stopping at Woodside, then making all local stops to Great Neck (arriving at 4:15 PM).
- The 5:50 PM train from Penn Station, due at Great Neck at 6:19 PM, will be combined with the 5:56 PM train to Port Washington, which will make all local stops to Great Neck. The 5:56 PM train will be lengthened to 12 cars from the usual 8, adding more than 400 extra seats.
- The 7:27 PM train from Penn Station, due at Port Washington at 8:04 PM, will be lengthened to 12 cars from the usual 10, adding over 200 seats.
- An extra AM Peak train will depart Farmingdale at 5:05 AM, stopping at Bethpage, Hicksville and Jamaica, arriving at Penn Station at 6:00 AM.
- An extra train will depart Penn Station at 1:49 PM, stopping at Woodside, Jamaica, Mineola, Hicksville, Bethpage, then local to Ronkonkoma (arriving at 3:07 PM).
- Use the or subway lines for travel between Atlantic Terminal and Penn Station.
- Use the subway lines for travel between Atlantic Terminal and Manhattan.
- Use the subway line at Hunterspoint Avenue Station for service to midtown Manhattan.
- Ride during the ‘shoulder’ of Peak travel periods (i.e., the start or end) for greater seat availability.
- Sign up for MTA eAlerts/text messages at www.mymtaalerts.com, follow @LIRR on Twitter, or sign up for the LIRR’s TrainTime® app.
- Look for LIRR timetables dated January 8, 2018, which will be available at stations and terminals as the start of the service changes draws near.
- Call the LIRR’s Customer Service Center at 511 or 718-217-LIRR/718-217-5477.
LIRR Adding Extra Train Service for the Holiday Season
Friday, December 22: 13 Extra Eastbound Trains to Jump-Start Your Christmas Weekend
The LIRR is unwrapping extra trains for customers seeking a head start on the Christmas weekend on Friday afternoon, December 22. The Railroad has scheduled 13 additional departures from Penn Station between 12:43 PM and 3:40 PM. There will be six extra trains to Babylon, three to Hicksville and Huntington, two additional Ronkonkoma Branch trains, and one each to Great Neck and Far Rockaway.
Christmas Weekend (Saturday, December 23 thru Monday, December 25)
The LIRR will be running on a Weekend/Holiday Schedule on Saturday, December 23 and Sunday, December 24 as well as on Monday, Christmas Day, December 25. Off-Peak fares will be in effect all three days.
Friday, December 29: 13 Extra Friday Eastbound Trains to Help You Welcome in the New Year’s Weekend
The LIRR has scheduled 13 extra afternoon eastbound trains from Penn Station between 12:43 PM and 3:40 PM. There will be six extra trains to Babylon, three to Hicksville and Huntington, two additional Ronkonkoma Branch trains, and one each to Great Neck and Far Rockaway.
Extra Service for New Year’s Eve and New Year’s Day
- On New Year’s Eve, Sunday, December 31, the LIRR is adding 10 extra westbound trains to Penn Station between 5:09 PM and 8:37 PM: three on the Port Washington Branch, two on the Ronkonkoma Branch, two on the Babylon Branch and one each on the Montauk, Port Jefferson and Port Washington branches.
- On New Year’s Day, there will be 14 extra eastbound trains leaving Penn Station between 12:30 AM and 4:20 AM: four on the Babylon Branch, three on the Ronkonkoma Branch, three on the Port Washington Branch, two on the Port Jefferson Branch, one on the Montauk Branch, and one on the Long Beach Branch.
As in prior years, to maintain orderly travel, alcoholic beverages will not be allowed on LIRR trains and platforms and at stations from 12 noon on New Year’s Eve (Sunday, December 31) through 12 noon on New Year’s Day (January 1, 2018). The MTA Police will enforce this restriction.
For More Information
For train schedules and real-time train status, customers should download LIRR Train Time®, the Railroad’s official app available via the Apple Store for iOS devices or Google Play Store for Android, along with MTA eTix® – the LIRR’s mobile ticketing app. Customers can also sign up for LIRR Service Alerts via text or email by registering at www.mymtaalerts.com. Assistance is also available by calling the LIRR’s Customer Service Center at 511 or 718-217-LIRR/718-217-5477.
Don’t miss out on New York City’s newest holiday attractions this season – the LIRR is offering special deals that are sure to get you into the spirit. Check out our list of Broadway Shows and NYC Getaways Packages at mta.info/lirr/getaways and experience the reason New York is one of the top holiday destinations to visit in the world. Below are some of our favorites:
Buy the LIRR Package to NYC’s ‘Winter ONEderland’ and Save
Take the LIRR’s NYC Getaway package to One World Observatory’s “Winter ONEderland” exhibit, where Ollie the snow owl will take you on a magical journey across the greatest landmarks in the world, leading to the most iconic place of them all, New York City! LIRR package includes Round-Trip rail fare and admission to One World Observatory. Viewings will be scheduled upon arrival for the next available time slot. Blackout dates apply. See mta.info/lirr/getaways.
Buy the LIRR Package to Ripley’s Time Square
No one does New Year’s Eve like New York City. Ripley’s Time Square is the only place in the world where you can touch and interact with the original Ball from the 2007 centennial countdown, as well as the iconic Waterford Crystal podium used from the 2002 through 2014 countdowns. Discount package includes Round-Trip rail plus admission! See mta.info/lirr/getaways.
NHL Winter Classic at Citi Field
LIRR Port Washington Branch trains will stop at the Mets-Willets Point Station on New Year’s Day for the NHL Winter Classic on January 1. Departure times will be posted online about a week prior to the event. See www.mta.info/lirr.
Safeguard Your Stuff
Overall on-time performance for November 2017 was 91.6%.
- Google Translate