Extra Holiday Service To Shop, See a Show & The Big Parade
The parade, the shows, the shopping, the weather. It’s that time of year again, the holidays are almost upon us and the LIRR is your best gift to yourself for getting around. Starting Thanksgiving Eve, Wednesday, November 26, the LIRR will offer additional eastbound afternoon service for those leaving early for the holiday. Ten extra trains will depart Penn Station between 2:08 PM and 3:48 PM and there will be one Montauk train departing Penn Station at 4:06 PM.
The LIRR Thanksgiving Day train schedule provides many opportunities to get to the big parade as well as additional service to take you back home. There will be six extra westbound trains in the morning and eleven additional afternoon eastbound trains.
On Black Friday, November 28, one of the year’s biggest shopping days, the LIRR will operate on a weekday schedule with off-peak fares all day---including the special Family Fare discount. Under the Family Fare program, up to four children, ages 5-11, can ride trains that day for the advance purchase fare of $1 each (one-way) when accompanied by a fare-paying parent or guardian. Weekly and monthly ticket holders just pay for the kids.
Holiday Travel Tips:
- Buy your tickets before boarding.
- Be sober and responsible. Open alcoholic beverage containers will not be allowed on LIRR trains, platforms or at stations from 8 PM, Wednesday, November 26 through 5 AM, Thursday, November 27 (Thanksgiving Day). MTA Police will enforce this restriction.
- Use one of the LIRR’s extra trains.
- The LIRR will also provide additional service for the Christmas and New Year’s holiday periods. Details in the December TrainTalk.
- Take The LIRR To Two Great Holiday Shows & Save
The LIRR is the way to go for two great holiday season shows in the City. When purchasing tickets for the Radio City Christmas Spectacular® starring the Rockettes and Dr. Seuss’ How The Grinch Stole Christmas! The Musical at the Theater at Madison Square Garden mention Code LIRR and receive a discounted show ticket plus a free LIRR round-trip ticket to select performances (through December 28 for Radio City and December 26 for The Grinch). For further information call 511 and say “LIRR” or visit www.mta.info/lirr/getaways.
LIRR Gets You To Tanger Outlets for Holiday Shopping/Celebration
On Saturday, November 22, why not spend some time getting into the holiday mood by visiting the Tanger Outlet The Arches in Deer Park, convenient to the LIRR Deer Park station. The LIRR Package includes round-trip rail to/from Deer Park Station,shuttle to/from the Tanger Outlet Center, and a voucher to exchange at the Shoppers Services Center for a coupon book worth hundreds of dollars in savings. Between 3 PM and 6 PM the Holiday Festival and tree lighting will take place. The LIRR’s table will feature two of the world famous Radio City Rockettes®. Why not take this opportunity to meet and take photos. You’ll also be able to enter the drawing for a chance to win tickets for the Radio City Christmas Spectacular® and other fun prizes. At 5 PM New York native and pop sensation, Jesse McCartney, will perform on the Tanger Stage in a free holiday concert.
Long Beach, Babylon and Pt Jeff Branches Extra Holiday Service
Due to increased travel demand during the holiday season, on weekends between November 29 and January 4, service will be added on the Long Beach Branch. Eight additional trains will operate westbound between 9 AM and 1 PM and eastbound between 4 PM and 8 PM, increasing service to half-hourly. There will also be two additional eastbound overnight trains, one apiece, on the Babylon and Port Jefferson Branches (to Huntington) through the holiday period. For details pick up a copy of the November 17, 2014 branch timetables at your station or at all terminals or consult the LIRR website.
West Hempstead Branch Update
Starting Saturday, November 22, weekend/holiday service will be restored on the West Hempstead Branch. Weekday customers are advised that from December 1 through December 19, buses will replace off-peak midday trains while trackwork is underway. Westbound customers at stations West Hempstead through Westwood will board buses up to 19 minutes later than normal train times, then transfer to trains at Valley Stream. Eastbound customers will transfer to buses at Valley Stream for service to stations Westwood through West Hempstead. Plan for up to 24 minutes additional travel time.
Mail&Ride Sweepstakes Winners
Congratulations to our latest Mail&Ride Sweepstakes winners:
- Tim Scalia of Mineola
- Andrew Kaspersen of Williston Park
- Lori Blau of Oceanside
- Richard Brady of Babylon
- Kevin Fortney of Garden City
- James Gee of Woodbury
All Mail&Ride customers are automatically entered in the sweepstakes each month.The lucky winners pay nothing for their commutation ticket for a month of their choosing. Mail&Ride is the way more than 35,000 LIRR customers get their monthly commutation tickets conveniently and dependably delivered through the mail. Signing up is easy…apply online at mailandride.com and if you choose an unlimited MetroCard option, you can save 2% on your LIRR fare.
Mail&Ride Sweepstakes Winners
Elevators and escalators make our lives easier and are essential for some travelers, but it’s important to use caution around these mechanical devices. Accidents can occasionally occur as a result of unsafe riding practices. To stay safe, we offer the following safety reminders:
When Taking the Escalator
- No distractions! Put away electronic devices and cell phones
- Be extra careful when taking that first step
- Don’t go against traffic–check the escalator direction
- Grasp the handrail
- Stand in the middle of the step and face forward
- Hold children firmly by the hand
- Keep hands, feet and clothing clear of moving parts
- Never set items on the steps or handrails
- Don’t take strollers or luggage on escalators–use an elevator or stairs instead
- Move clear of the exit area when stepping off
When Taking the Elevator
- Before boarding, stand aside so other passengers can exit
- If the elevator is full, wait for the next one
- Watch your step in case the elevator car is not perfectly level with the floor
- Once onboard, press the button for your floor and move to the back to make room for other passengers
If you see an LIRR elevator or escalator in need of repair, report it by calling 718-558-8228. Before travelling on the LIRR, you can always check on the status of elevators and escalators at mta.info/lirr.
Overall on-time-performance for October was 92.58%.
- Google Translate