Be An LIRR Hero - Be Courteous
The LIRR invites you to be a hero through a new courtesy campaign that you will begin to see on trains and in stations in the coming weeks. The new campaign demonstrates behaviors that will help ensure your commute and that of your fellow riders will be more pleasant. Click the image for a sneak peek:
New Timetables Effective May 20
Looking ahead to Monday, May 20, a temporary hiatus in Amtrak’s Penn Station state-of-good-repair trackwork means restoration of rush-hour trains that had been canceled or diverted, and the removal of three extra trains that had been added temporarily to offset other changes. However, one extra AM Peak train from Farmingdale will continue to operate due to popular demand, and an added PM Peak stop at Huntington will remain in place. Details include:
- The temporary extra westbound train to Penn Station, departing Freeport (5:43 AM), Baldwin (5:46 AM), Rockville Centre (5:49 AM) and Jamaica (6:06 AM) will continue operating through September.
- The 6:56 AM train from Wantagh, currently diverted to Atlantic Terminal, will resume operating to Penn Station.
- The 7:41 AM train from Merrick, currently terminating at Jamaica, will depart 3 minutes later at 7:44 AM and resume operating to Penn Station.
- The 8:25 AM train from Freeport, currently diverted to Atlantic Terminal, will resume operating to Penn Station.
- A temporary extra eastbound train to Freeport, departing Hunterspoint Avenue at 7:02 PM, will be removed from the schedule.
Far Rockaway Branch
- The 8:10 AM train from Far Rockaway to Penn Station will be restored to the schedule.
- The 5:32 PM train from Penn Station to Far Rockaway, currently originating in Jamaica at 5:52 PM, will resume operating from Penn.
- The 5:38 PM train from Penn Station to Hempstead, currently departing from Atlantic Terminal at 5:46 PM, will resume operating from Penn Station.
- The 7:05 PM train from Penn Station to Hempstead, currently departing from Atlantic Terminal at 7:09 PM, will resume operating from Penn Station.
Long Beach Branch
- The 8:03 AM train from Long Beach, currently diverted to Atlantic Terminal with an added stop at Jamaica, will resume operating express to Penn Station.
Port Jefferson Branch
- The 5:06 PM express train from Penn Station to Syosset, Cold Spring Harbor and Huntington will be restored to the schedule.
- The 5:33 PM train from Penn Station to Hicksville will no longer have added stops at Syosset and Cold Spring Harbor.
- The 5:52 PM train from Long Island City to Port Jefferson will continue to make an added stop at Huntington.
Port Washington Branch
- The 5:50 PM train from Penn Station to Great Neck will be restored to the schedule.
- The extra westbound train from Farmingdale (5:12 AM), Bethpage (5:16 AM), Hicksville (5:22 AM), Mineola (5:30 AM) and Jamaica (5:46 AM) will continue operating through September.
- A temporary extra eastbound train to Ronkonkoma, departing Penn Station at 1:42 PM, will be removed from the schedule.
West Hempstead Branch
- The 7:34 AM train from West Hempstead to Penn Station will resume its former departure time of 7:36 AM.
New Fares Take Effect Sunday, April 21
Most LIRR ticket and MetroCard types will be subject to increases as of April 21, 2019. Customers can find new fares online here.
What You Need To Know
- The majority of LIRR customers will see fares increase by 3.96% or less, with the change to monthly tickets capped at $15.00.
- Monthly tickets for May 2019, on sale starting April 25, will be priced at the new rate.
- Weekly tickets for April 27-May 3, on sale starting April 24, will be priced at the new rate.
- Ten-Trip tickets purchased before April 21, 2019, will remain valid for 6 months from the date of purchase.
- One-Way and Round-Trip tickets purchased before April 21, 2019, remain valid for 60 days from the date of purchase.
- The CityTicket fare for One-Way weekend travel within NYC will increase from $4.25 to $4.50.
- The prices for Atlantic Ticket and Family Fare tickets remain unchanged.
- The $50 MetroCard option is being eliminated, and will no longer be sold from LIRR Ticket Windows and/or Ticket Machines.
- Effective with the sale of May 2019 monthly tickets, monthly tickets will go on sale starting on the 25th day of the month prior.
- Mail&Ride customers who receive Unlimited Ride MetroCards will be charged the new $127 MetroCard rate in May.
- The combined Mail&Ride/$50 MetroCard option is being eliminated, and will no longer be available starting with the May 2019 monthly ticket. Customers currently using this option will need to update their account to a $0 MetroCard or a $127 Unlimited Ride MetroCard. Value can be added to the $0 MetroCard at NYC Transit subway stations.
- Mail&Ride customers who pay for their ticket with pre-tax benefit funds: please review the new ticket cost for your fare zone and contact your transit benefit provider to make any necessary adjustments.
Fares for NYC Transit Subways/Buses will also change on Sunday, April 21, 2019
- The 30-Day Unlimited Ride MetroCard will cost $127.
- The 7-Day Unlimited Ride MetroCard will cost $33.
- All Unlimited Ride MetroCards purchased prior to the April 21 fare change must be activated by April 29 to get the full number of days of unlimited rides.
- The $5.50 Round-Trip MetroCard, and the $25 MetroCard, will not be available at LIRR Ticket Windows and/or Ticket Machines from April 15 – April 20 as we transition to the new MetroCards. Effective April 21, the bonus value for these Pay-Per-Ride tickets will be eliminated.
101st PGA Championship at the Black Course at Bethpage State Park May 13 – May 19
Major Championship golf returns to Bethpage Black in May and the LIRR will be providing customers with extra service to/from our Farmingdale Station. Once there, free shuttle buses provided by the PGA will bring patrons to Bethpage State Park to see the strongest field in golf at “the people’s country club”, from May 13 - 19, 2019.
WE STRONGLY ENCOURAGE THE PURCHASE OF ROUND-TRIP TICKETS PRIOR TO BOARDING YOUR TRAIN TO THE OPEN.
- Farmingdale is the LIRR station for service to the U.S. Open.
- Regular fares will be charged.
- Purchase Round-Trip tickets before boarding trains from a Ticket Machine, staffed Ticket Office, or through MTA eTix®. Tickets bought onboard the train cost more.
- Do NOT drive to Farmingdale Station – no parking will be available. (In fact, the nearest PGA parking facility is at Jones Beach – making the train your best option!)
- On your return trip, please allow adequate time to walk to the shuttle bus stop for the free trip to Farmingdale Station. Tickets will be collected or validated before boarding.
- Please visit here for more information on the event. Schedule and fare information is currently available on www.mta.info/lirr.
- Limited spectator tickets are still available at PGA.com/tickets.
Buy The LIRR Package and Save up to 30% on:
- LIRR Off-Peak Round-Trip rail fare
- Admission to Auto Show
Monthly ticket holders can save $3 on admission by showing their LIRR monthly ticket along with the printed flyer available online and at open ticket offices.
For additional information on LIRR/Auto Show Discount Packages, click here.
- LIRR Main Line Expansion Project - elimination of 7 grade crossings and construction of a third track between Hicksville and Floral Park.
- Moynihan Station - transformation of the Farley Post Office Building into a new rail terminal.
- East Side Access - installation of signals for new tracks in Queens that will lead to a new LIRR terminal under Grand Central Terminal.
- Jamaica Capacity Improvements - construction of an additional platform at Jamaica Station.
- Positive Train Control - installation of technology that will prevent train accidents.
Visit www.amodernli.com to view the details of these projects and sign up for the weekly newsletter.
"I left my luggage on the LIRR … Immediately realizing my mistake, I filled out a lost & found claim. Henry called me a couple days later with the good news that they found my luggage, and asked when I could pick it up. 'Well, I live in Nashville, and I don't have plans to visit NYC again anytime soon.' Henry then proceeded to go above and beyond to make sure I got my luggage back. He wheeled it down to the FedEx office more than once, coordinated with them on the phone and in person when I ran into FedEx system errors, and he followed up with me to make sure he had all the info he needed for the shipping. Most impressive, though, was the fact that he had an unrelentingly positive attitude throughout the whole process. Never once did he make me feel like an annoyance or burden. Thank you, Henry -- my luggage arrived home yesterday safe & sound, many, many thanks to you. Henry is a rock star!" - Chelsea in Nashville via e-mail.
"I would like to compliment the LIRR team that you have on the 5:41 PM train from Penn Station to Ronkonkoma (2062). They are a friendly, smiling group, greeting and thanking the passengers as they are checking tickets. I enjoy the timely and clear announcements by the lead conductor, especially as we are pulling in to the last stop in Ronkonkoma. He has a special way of pronouncing 'Ronkonkoma'. After a long day in the office it brings a smile to many of the passengers' faces. The train is usually on time. Kudos to team 2062... Keep up the good work!!!" - Bill on the Ronkonkoma Branch via email.
"The train crews on my weekly commute from NY Penn to Flushing Main Street are very polite and respectful. I single out the engineer and conductors on the 10:49 AM Port Washington line. On my return ride conductor Mike is outstanding. Just want to acknowledge the good work of these team members." - Rachel on the Port Washington Branch via e-mail.
"@LIRR hat’s off to the conductor on the 3:46 PM Babylon train. She always has a smile on her face and treats a fellow passenger with special needs with such kindness." - Jack via Twitter.
"@LIRR The conductor on the 6:39 PM to Hempstead is awesome! Props to him and his clear personable announcements." - Saima via Twitter.
We also get reports on our stations. Recently, a customer reported the times were off on two screens at Baldwin Station. They were fixed within two days and the customer sent acknowledgement:
"@LIRR Thanks for fixing!" - James via Twitter.
LIRR Throwback Photo
Click here to download full size
Last Updated - 5/2/19
- Google Translate