Skip to main content
To homepage
Coronavirus updates: MTA Service During the Coronavirus Pandemic, Read more

Frequently Asked Questions

1. Which facilities are operated by MTA Bridges and Tunnels?

MTA Bridges and Tunnels operates nine toll facilities within New York City, including the Bronx-Whitestone, Brooklyn-Battery Tunnel, Queens Midtown Tunnel, Throgs Neck, Robert F. Kennedy (formerly Triborough), Henry Hudson, Marine Parkway-Gil Hodges Memorial, Cross Bay Veterans and Verrazzano-Narrows bridges.

* An easy way to remember which agency operates what is to remember that bridges connecting New York and New Jersey are operated by the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey; bridges within New York City that are free are operated by the City Department of Transportation; roadways that are expressways or freeways are operated by the State Department of Transportation; and toll bridges within New York City are MTA Bridges and Tunnels.

> Click here for more info

2. Lost or stolen E-ZPass transponders.

If your Tag is lost or stolen, access our E-ZPass website at to notify us immediately or call 1-800-333-TOLL (8655). Tags may be reported lost or stolen via our automated phone system 24 hours a day. Please have your Tag number (listed on your statement) and the PIN # (provided by you on your application) ready when you report a Tag lost or stolen. You will not be charged for tolls incurred after you report Tags lost or stolen. We will deactivate your lost or stolen Tag and send you a new one upon receipt of the full cost of the Tag: an interior Tag costs $16.00 and an exterior Tag costs $22.00. Your account number will remain the same, and a new deposit will be required. The deposit will be waived for customers selecting "Credit Card" as their payment method. If you have reported your Tag lost or stolen, but later find it, do not use it. Please contact the Customer Service Center at 1-800-333-TOLL (8655) and return the Tag for a refund.

3. Where can I find a list of your tolls?

You can find the current tolls by following this link:

4. Where do I send a deferred toll payment? I lost my envelope. Can I pay it online, by phone, credit card or with cash?

You can now pay online with a debit/credit card or PayPal by accessing our deferred toll payment website at Online payment saves $1.00 in service fees. We currently do not accept phone, cash or E-ZPass account payments for deferred tolls.

Alternatively, you can send a check or money order from a U.S. bank for the full amount of the toll and a $2 service fee to:

Finance Division – Deferred Tolls
2 Broadway, 23rd Floor
New York,  NY   10004

Be sure to include your license plate number on your check or money order. Resident and E-ZPass discounts are not applicable.

5. I sent in my payment. Can you tell me if you received it?

Deferred toll payments can take up to 60 days to process. Please wait at least two banking cycles for processing. If you do not receive your canceled check back within 60 days, contact MTA Bridges and Tunnels again via the MTA email system.

6. How do I exchange old Bridges and Tunnels tokens?

Please call 212-360-3000 (Option 6) for a token refund kit. It will be mailed to you. The refund can take up to six weeks to process.

7. How can I find information about bridge and tunnel lane closures or construction delays?

Current Bridge and Tunnel traffic advisories and special advisories can be found at:

8. Can I use my E-ZPass® in any lane at the toll plaza?

At MTA Bridges and Tunnel facilities, you may only use your E-ZPass® in the dedicated E-ZPass® lanes. Look for the purple and white E-ZPass® signs to guide you to the correct lanes. At other agencies, there may be mixed use lanes (cash or E-ZPass) or dedicated lanes. Overhead signs guide you to the appropriate lanes. At the Henry Hudson Bridge, you can use any lane without stopping.

9. How can I find out about commercial vehicle restrictions at MTA Bridges and Tunnels facilities?

Follow this link to the Rules & Regulations section:
Please see Part 1021.2 on pages 2-4 of the rules for information about vehicle restrictions.

10. Who do I contact if I have a complaint about a Bridge and Tunnel employee?

Email complaint to us using our Customer Feedback form

11. What do I do if I think I received the wrong change at an MTA Bridges and Tunnels facility?

Please send a written letter to Revenue Management with as much information as possible, including facility name, direction traveling, time, date, lane number, BTO badge number if available. An investigation will be conducted.

Revenue Management
2 Broadway, 23rd floor
N.Y., N.Y., 10004

12. How do I handle a traffic ticket that I received from one of your officers?

Follow the instructions on the front and back of the ticket. If you wish to plead guilty, check the appropriate box and send in the ticket and your payment to the address shown. If you plead not guilty, check the box and send in the ticket to the address shown. You will be given a hearing date to appear before an administrative law judge from the Traffic Violations Bureau, which handles traffic tickets.

13. How do I obtain a copy of an accident report if I am involved in an accident at one of your nine facilities?

Accident reports prepared by MTA Bridges and Tunnels officers are available from the New York State Department of Motor Vehicles. You may obtain a copy of the report by going to:

14. Where can I learn more about E-ZPass resident discount programs?

Please visit:

15. Where else can I use my E-ZPass?

For a complete list of where you can use E-ZPass go to:

16. How do I change the credit card on my E-ZPass account?

You can make changes to your account by visiting: or calling the E-ZPass Customer Service Center at 1-800 333-8655

17. What is E-ZPass On-the-Go and where can I buy one?

E-ZPass On-the-Go is a pre-paid tag that eliminates waiting in line at an E-ZPass Service Center. Find out more by calling the E-ZPass Customer Service Center at 1-800 333-8655 or visiting the site online at
The tag must be registered within 48 hours of the first time it is used.

18. Sometimes the gate in the E-ZPass lane doesn't go up when I hold my E-ZPass up near the windshield. What can I do to make sure this doesn't happen?

The best way to ensure this doesn't happen is to mount your tag properly on the inside of your vehicle's windshield so the tag's sensors can be read by the equipment in the lane. The E-ZPass Customer Service Center will provide you with free mounting strips and instructions if you call 1-800-333-8655 or visit the E-ZPass website at:

19. I got stuck in traffic because there was an accident at one of your facilities. Can you give me a letter of excuse for my employer?

Yes, as long as the accident was on MTA property, and not on a roadway or expressway leading to the bridge or tunnel, we can provide a letter. Please contact Staff Services at 212-360-3000 (Option 9).

20. How can I learn more about doing business with Bridges and Tunnels?

To learn to about our procurement and bid process and what bids are open for bidding click on the Procurement Opportunities page.

21. Where can I find out information about job opportunities at MTA Bridges and Tunnels?

Follow this link for more information about available jobs:

22. How can I request information under the Freedom of Information Law (FOIL)?

We strongly urge you to submit your request online. To make a request via mail, send it to the following address:

MTA Legal Department
2 Broadway, 4th Floor
New York, NY 10004

The MTA FOIL team processes requests for all MTA agencies.

  • Google Translate